Chapter 3

~Jean's POV~

We all congregate together after seeing off the rest of the bad guys. Storm checks us all over, and to my relief, no one ended up getting hurt in the firefight.

Almost all of us jump into a fighting position when we hear the tread of heavy boots, but then we all relax when we see Logan's familiar silhouette appear out of the mist, with Rouge closely following behind him. As soon as he appeared, I noticed that he was carrying the girl bridal style, and that she was unconscious.

He stops next to me, and swiftly settles the girl on the ground. We all look at her for a bit, and then Logan glances up at me.

"You mind taking a look at her, Jean?" He gruffly asks.

"Not at all." I respond, smiling at him. I kneel down, and press my hand against her forehead, and was instantly sent into another dimension.

I find myself passing underneath a huge red gate as I walk on the surface of water. It laps at my feet as if it was welcoming my presence.

I look around, seeing nothing but a full white moon in the distance and water all around me.

"Hey! Where are you!" I call, hoping to draw her out.

I wait, but the only response I get is a small shiver from the water around me. Then a huge force buffets me to the side, and I gasp in shock as it forces me right out of the girl's mindscape.

I open my eyes to see everyone looking at me with concerned expressions on their faces, while Scott, who was hovering over me, has an exceptionally worried look on his face.

"You okay?" He softly asks me, offering me a hand up. I nod, and take his hand. He pulls me to my feet, and a spurt of pain blooms in my head.

"Ah!" I gasp, grabbing at the offended spot.

"Jean!" Scott's hands wrap around my shoulders, steadying me.

"I-I'm okay." I gasp. "It's just some backlash from when I was pushed out of her mind."

"Wait, she what?" Someone exclaimed.

Scott starts fussing over me, and I gently push at him. "Stop it, Scott. I'm fine. So stop worrying."

After a bit of me pushing him away and insisting that I'm fine, Scott finally backs off, and I'm able to look at everyone else.

"How long was I out?" I ask, noticing that the sun was close to setting in the sky.