𝟎 ➸ 𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄

❝𝐖𝐞 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐌𝐢𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐥𝐨 𝐭𝐨 𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐯𝐞

𝐇𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐧'𝐭 𝐫𝐞𝐰𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐚𝐠𝐫𝐨 𝐨𝐟 𝐦𝐲 𝐟𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐝 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭❞

-"𝐁𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐝𝐲 𝐌𝐚𝐫𝐲" 𝐛𝐲 𝐋𝐚𝐝𝐲 𝐆𝐚𝐠𝐚

                                             ───────────────────────────────

Kneeling on the plain tatami mat in your family home, you stared at the woman in front of you, your mother.

Your older brother, Akira, who was 4 years older than you and currently 15, sat directly next to you. You watched as your mother reached into the folds of her officially issued exorcist trench coat. Pulling out a cigarette and lighter, she placed the cigarette between her lips before taking a drag from it.

The atmosphere in the room was tense. Anyone looking in on the interaction would've assumed that the three were meeting for the first time, not blood relatives.

"What have you two been up to?" She regarded you with an uninterested glance. You and Akira shared a look, put off by your mom's lackluster attempt at small talk. Neither of you answered.

She sighed, cigarette smoke being released in the air, "I'll leave you be right after I tell you guys something important."

You were incredibly suspicious of the woman's intentions. Despite being born and raised in the Myōō Dharani sect, along with being the head of the [Lastname] household, she rarely came by to visit. You didn't care much for her reasons, but she claimed that exorcisms took up too much of her time. So you were incredibly confused when your aunt told you that she had come to talk with you and your brother.

Your mother reached a gloved hand to her utility belt. Unhooking the tassels from a pair of tessen—war fans—she snapped them open, then carelessly threw them in front of you.

You felt as though you had seen them before, a feeling of déjà vu filled your senses. The tessen leaves were made from black iron. It was decorated with golden accents that were there for pure aestheticism. As you looked closer, you identified what looked like engravings in the alphabet of a language you didn't understand.

After observing the interest on your faces, she delved into her explanation, "The one on the left is Eumenides, and the other is Dirae." Straightening her posture, your mother continued, "Sometime in the future, one of you will be allowed to inherit these. I'm here to tell you how to inherit them."

Inherit them? That confused you further, you were sure your brother was just as puzzled. "What I'm going to tell you is probably the most important thing I'll ever tell you two. So you better remember it," her disposition was calm.

She turned to you, and then your brother to make sure she had your undivided attention. When she was satisfied, she took another drag from her cigarette and began to speak once more. "These are maken or demon swords. As you can tell they're not exactly swords, but that's not the issue here."

"What is this all about?" Your brother interjected, becoming progressively more irritated. His mother's cryptic words and unannounced visit annoyed him more than you could ever begin to perceive.

"I'm not here to answer questions. Just listen."

You turned towards your brother, he gave you a slight nod. You turned back towards your mom, allowing her to continue.

"You'll understand why I'm doing this in the future. But, for now, I'll show you what you're supposed to do to claim the tessen."

She held up three fingers on her left hand—ring, middle, index—and signaled to the war fans on the floor. "To make them accept you, you'll have to press these three fingers, and only these fingers, onto the surface of one of them. This is my left hand, so I would touch Eumenides."

"They?" You questioned.

"The Erinyes, they are contained within them. After you touch Eumenides, if they've accepted you, you'll begin to feel a burning sensation in your hand. It'll hurt, but if that's the case, you'll have to immediately offer your right hand to Dirae."

Your mother was beginning to look more and more intense. "Do you understand?"

You nodded in confirmation.

She opened her mouth again to say something, but before any words could pass through her throat, you heard someone abruptly fling open the sliding door. Your aunt stood in the middle of the door frame.

"I came to check on you," your aunt gazed distrustfully at her sister.

"Don't worry, we're finished here." Your mother swiftly took her weapons, snapping them closed with practiced precision, and hung them back on her belt. She put her cigarette back in her mouth.

"Don't smoke in my house!"

She condescendingly patted your aunt on the head. "It's nice to see you're as spirited as ever."

Your aunt sneered at the gesture.

You and Akira quickly stood to follow your mother.

"That's it!?" Akira yelled out, bewildered.

Your mother turned around, already at the bottom of the house stairs. Realizing she wasn't going to walk the measly 4-step distance back up, you and Akira joined her on the ground.

"You're gonna drop by after years and then leave just like that?" Akira was understandably upset. You couldn't pinpoint why you didn't share the same sentiment about your mother, but it likely had to do with the fact that you were younger.

Your mother looked at him with strangely genuine emotion. You stood there for a while, your mother took the last drag from her cigarette before dropping it on the ground and crushing it beneath her heel.

She raised her arm as if she were planning to pat Akira on the head. However, instead, she patted him on the shoulder in a weirdly familial way. He touched his shoulder with shock written all over his face. She then turned and took your hand in a firm handshake.

"I can tell that you two are good kids." She turned towards her sister one last time, "Look after them."

She turned on her heel and left. This was the last time you would ever see her again.

                                         ───────────────────────────────

And that's that for the prologue. Thank you to anyone who's read this, I hope you enjoyed it. And if you didn't, I still want to thank you for taking any interest at all in this story. I plan to update soon so we can get into the main Blue Exorcist timeline.