𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐧𝐞

Chapter one: Living Hell ★───────

"I'm not going there if he's going." I crossed my arms on my chest.

"I'm gonna talk to him." One of my mothers got up to talk to my brother.

"Listen Victoria," my mum began.

"I won't listen." I cut her off.

"He didn't do anything wrong." she defended him.

"Yes he did!" I argued as some tears welled up in my eyes.

"There's no evidence. Carla lied."

"No she fucking didn't ! That little dumb girlfriend of his is Polo's fucking accomplice!" I yelled.

"Victoria!" My mum scolded me.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have spoken like this to you." I replied quietly. "But this doesn't change the fact that he's guilty."

"My son is innocent!" She raised her voice at me.

"You just don't get it, do you?" I asked rhetorically.

"Get what?"

"It's always about Polo! Polo is innocent! Polo would never do this! Polo deserves a second chance! Polo blah blah blah"

"Victoria." she cut me off.

"But you haven't thought of me at least once! You haven't thought of the fact that if he goes back to school my life will be a living hell, people are going to bully me because i'm related to him. Both of you are so all over Polo that you haven't noticed that I go to therapy, you haven't noticed that I take medications, you haven't noticed that I haven't eaten a proper meal in a while. You have to children and you have to remember that one of those children is a murderer!" I cried out as I got up and went to my room.

I sat in front of my mirror and quickly fixed my eyeliner as it got a bit smudged. I brushed my hair and sprayed myself with my favourite perfume. I picked up my tote bag and left my house. Usually Polo or Guzman would give me a lift to school, but I hate them both at the moment, so I decided to walk there. I put in my airpods and blasted my favourite album ever, Ultraviolence by Lana Del Rey.

As I was making my way over to my locker, I noticed all my friends staring at the stairs, where Polo was standing. Everyone was sending him death stares and If looks could kill, he would be already laying on the floor, restless. And then, his deeply blue eyes, looked up at all of us. He was accompanied by our mothers and when they left to go to Azucenas office, everyone's gaze landed right on me. Rebeka went up to me and placed her arm around my waist.

"Quit staring, will you?" I yelled and went into the classroom with Rebe. We sat down together. Everyone else followed us inside.

"Why the hell didn't we hear he was out?" Samuel asked Guzman.

"Same reason we didn't hear he'd been locked up." Guzman replied as both of the boys were staring right at me. "One of his mums is influential. She owns newspapers and magazines. But that won't get him out of jail."

"Don't you have anything to say?" Lu asked me.

"No, don't have anything to say to you, querida." I faked a smile and Rebe chuckled.

"At least Carla finally talked. Unlike some people who knew and didn't say a damn word." Guzman looked over at Ander.

"Ander? Holy shit! You knew too!" Lu interjected. "So everybody knew but me?"

"Not everything is about you, princess." I glared at her.

"You're right. I'd just like to have known that the boy sat beside me was a fucking killer. Creepy." Lu laughed.

"Ha ha. So funny isn't it." I rolled my eyes.

"Victoria, are you okay?" Samuel asked and Guzman angrily nudged him.

"Why would you care." I replied bluntly.

"Okay. Polo didn't do anything." Cayetana joined in.

"Yes he did! Stop fucking defending him!" I yelled at her.

"You're his sister. His family, you're supposed to be the one defending him." Cayetana scoffed.

"At least I'm being true to myself and doing the right thing. You're so blinded honestly Cayetana. You better be careful not to get into an argument with him, we all know how it's gonna end." I replied. "Actually, it's your life, your choices. Why should I care."

"See, even his sister is against him! You expect us to believe you of all people, Barbie Mentirosa?" Lu sided with me. "Should we remind the class of who you are?"

"No need. Thanks." Cayetana shrugged. "Listen, all they have against him is a statement of his jealous ex and sister who's kissed because she doesn't get as much attention as Polo."

"Oh shut the fuck up. You guys are literally couple goals. A liar and a murderer. Power couple. Both as bad as each other." I mocked them.

"So, this whole show you put on was totally pointless, right? Too bad." Rebe laughed.

"Like we need your opinion lowlife." Carla cut her off.

"Like we need yours wench." I defended Rebeka.

"Sit down, and please listen." Azucena caught everyone's attention. "Your classmate has been released on bail. This means there are charges against him, and he's still being investigated." I looked out the window to see Polo leaving with our mothers. "I've told his family that given the circumstances, I cannot allow him to come back." Azucena explained to the whole class.

"So he won't graduate, right?" Lucrecia asked.

"Fortunately, it looks like all this will be resolved soon."

"What?" Guzman cut her off.

"The judge has ordered a confrontation between Polo and his accusers tomorrow in order to compare their accounts and decide whether to charge him formally or to drop the charges." The class began murmuring amongst themselves, but I glanced at Carla. Her hand was gently trembling. I couldn't believe I had to testify against my own brother.

"I know it's hard to distance yourselves from this, but I urge you to do it for your own good." I covered my mouth in shock and kind of annoyance. How am I meant to put this all behind if this is literally my everyday life? If i'm not mentally stable because of my brother? "This week we have representatives from the world's best universities coming to meet you. And with a bit of luck, you might be accepted to one or even be awarded a scholarship. This is a crucial moment. There's a lot at stake. Stay focused. Don't let the last ruin your future." Azucena finished off.

I knew what I wanted my future to look like. I'd want to leave this shithole and move to a French village, be surrounded my nature and become an artist or a fashion designer. I'm really good at art, I can sing and play many instruments. I'd love to go to a good, prestige university.