Chapter Thirty-Five

Corey took his partner's advice, and following a well-deserved shower, fell into his bed in just his boxers and tee-shirt. Sometime later and out of a deep sleep, he heard Mattingly's voice calling him to where the TV was illuminating the closed curtained room.

"Jesus! Check this out, Corey!"

He looked over to where Bill was now standing in front of the TV monitor. The News channel was blaring out a breaking news story.

" . . . She was rescued early this morning two miles out of Baltimore Harbor by a daring team of Coast Guardsmen directed by the FBI."

"Directed by the FBI . . . There you go, Bill! . . . These fucking guys were in on it all along! They're shills for the military, man! We always knew they were playing some kind of game with us."

"And just to keep us off the track, brother. Your trip out here to Baltimore foiled the bastards' plans."

"Yeah. To help whoever it was keeping Marlow in some kind of . . . psycho limbo . . . Jesus, Bill."

"Man, my hat's off to you, partner. You flushed these losers out. And now we know where the Feds stand . . . Secretly backing that military program."

"Right. And unfortunately, the public's not getting that message, Bill. The FBI's making sure they take credit and change the narrative. Totally fake news!"

Man . . . as we speak . . . listen . . ."

The CNN coverage continued:

". . . The young beauty contestant from Arizona was being held hostage by a criminal organization. It used a yacht to conceal her whereabouts for three weeks. Their demands were communicated to be five million dollars, which the FBI traced and intercepted. The girl's location on the superyacht was discovered and located by a cell phone planted on the craft to send signals to the authorities. This dramatic rescue was made just hours ago in the Atlantic Ocean by helicopter. Henley Marlow is now safe and recovering in a Baltimore hospital."

"Jesus, Corey. They've destroyed the truth. Made it a simple ransom case."

"As we predicted, Bill . . . And that means the girl will still need protection from these guys."

"Right. Based on everything she knows. The nature of her treatment . . . But listen, Corey. The Chief's been on her protection. Earlier, when he learned your interception was in progress, he contacted the Baltimore Police Commissioner along with the state's District Attorney. He arranged a twenty-four-hour armed escort from East to West. Just as soon as Marlow's able to travel."

"Fine. But do you really trust that, Bill? Who else is involved in this? . . . Man, we can't even come close to blowing the lid off this . . . At least not now. Not you, me, the Chief . . . or especially Henley! We could easily be dead men walking, partner."

"So then look, Corey. We know by now there's a good chance you've been tailed even here. Just like at the other hotel. The trick will be getting to the airport for our flight tomorrow. There'll be safety in numbers for us there."

"Yeah. Been there done that, Bill. But I just don't feel good about leaving Baltimore while Henley's still holed up under the watch of the Feds. And so out of our reach."

"Look man. You've done all you can do for her right now. We've got to get back to Vegas to build this case. And work on the one you've uncovered. Stop focusing so much on the girl now, man . . . let's get our asses out of danger first."

Corey put his head back and rubbed his eyes. He was pensive for several moments.

"You're right, man . . . I've totally lost it on this case."