UN

Merci mille fois.

Je n'ai pas fermé l'ail de la nuit.
It was a gusty morning. Minatory rain clouds gathered above my small hometown, I pulled out a pair of slippers from beneath my bed.
I put them on and sauntered to my bedroom window, I sat down and stared at the bright lights from the road, ignoring the rumbling thunder. Traffic. I couldn't hear the honks due to distance.

I stared down at the blurry features letting tears slip down my cheeks. My iniquitous mother's car drove in. Here's to re-misery. I mentally tossed.
I sighed kicking off my slippers and dashing to the bathroom. It had been two months without my mother's presence. Despite this, I still felt her Aura and power over my actions.

Out there I held a reputation and many think, due to my mother's rictus smiles and facade, that she's indulgent.
But behind the GARNET MAÌSON, my home is a mordant life. I call it mordant because of all the luxuries thrown at me alongside the drama of my parents 'solicitude' note the air quotes.

I stepped into the lukewarm water slowly immersing myself in it. I remembered every flash and eulogy thrown at my parents by the paparazzi. Mrs. Garnet this Mrs. Garnet that.
Every galling moment in my life flashed before me, how Laurette, my sister had all the real care.

She had it all, the love, the care. I on the other hand was what my parents flaunt. I should be happy but I had taken all the foul actions.
There was a knock at the door, I heard it faintly through my half-submerged ears.

'Paulette!' I heard Laurette call from the other side. I could imagine her chewing like she always did. Yes. I am Paulette Garnet Gray. The younger one.

'What do you want?' I replied glazing over the door. She remained silent probably lost in a text from her friends. I sighed when I heard Mother's heels walk to my door.
I got up hastily wrapping myself up in a towel and walking to the door. I opened it just in time to see her going to knock. She flashed me a dreary smile before walking to my bed and sitting cross-legged.

'Bonsoir, I see you must be taking my advice seriously.' she said sounding flinty. She was losing her accent. French accent. I sighed dropping my towel and walking to the closet.
'Pardon!' Mother followed and I halted, she walked to me tracing my back. 'I don't like this.. you're getting..uh.. marignon! I have them adjust your meals. I don't want you looking all..gamine.' I wasn't getting skinny.

I resumed to the closet stepping in and picking out my sweats and a sports bra. I had to go to the gym which is right across my room. My gym, only I worked out, being an endorser of my mother's company. De L'amour.
A fancy cloth label, she also handled her cosmetics and skin clinic..all under De L'amour.

I had this and college too, I had to keep being an A+ material or else. Thank God I wasn't friable. I wanted to be like my sister, I envied her.
I emerged from the closet all dressed up and ready to exercise. 'Au-revoir!' I exited to my gym to keep fit.

I was joined by them again, what were they up to? I froze and looked at them. They had something to tell me. 'What's up?'

My mother rolled her eyes at my levity, she didn't like me using words like that. She walked closer to me before snapping her fingers. Laurette left immediately returning with slate-gray bags with my mother's brand. 'Aujourd'hui, nous avons une petite fête, la paix soirée.'