LIFE AS I KNOW IT

Two weeks. Two weeks since I killed my father and yet, it only felt like yesterday. The same day it happened, I was taken to the police station and grilled with countless questions about that night. About the months before that. About the abuse.

One week ago, I found out I lost both of my jobs, Espresso Cafe and Reggie's Books. Stacy had called every day since then, saying that she was so sorry. She didn't have to be sorry. She wasn't the main manager, so she wasn't the one to fire me.

Two days ago, I was found not guilty of murder. They used my bruises and scars to show that I was abused for a long time, and that helped them decide. I killed him in self-defense.

But I still killed him.

And just yesterday, our house was sold to our very own Mr. Rogers.

I was forced to move in with mom. I didn't really have a choice. Since Dad was gone, she was my legal guardian. I haven't seen her much, though. I've kept myself in my room, barely eating, barely sleeping. Every time I close my eyes I see how he looked at me before I killed him. How can someone just forget that? Every time I try to eat, I see the knife and the blood and I throw up.

I've barely gotten out of bed, too. The only times I get up are to shower, change, then I get back in bed. I spend my days staring at the wall, reliving the moment he died. Over and over again.

Anthony came into my room for the eleventh time that day. He's been checking on me religiously, bringing me food, getting me out of bed to shower, everything. All I want is to just spiral, but he isn't letting me.

"Hey, Lily," He said softly, crouching down beside my bed. I looked away from the wall and into his eyes. He smiled softly at me and said, "I brought you some soup."

He helped me sit up and sat down by my feet, handing me a coffee cup filled with alphabet soup. I loved this stuff as a kid. I slowly drank it, staring up at the ceiling.

"You know, your friends have been coming by every day to see you," Anthony said, looking at me with concern, "I know you didn't want to see them, so I keep telling them that you don't want company, but at some point, you have to see them."

Just as he finished his sentence, the doorbell rang. I looked at him and croaked, "Who is it?" My voice was raspy and broken. I haven't uttered a word since that night.

Anthony sighed, "It's probably Tyler. He comes over like- twice a day. He's the one that keeps bringing over the food and stuff."

"Anthony, it's that Brady kid again," Homewrecker called from downstairs. Anthony let out an airy laugh, "Told you."

A tear rolled down my cheek as I stared down at the soup. He came over every day? No, not just that...twice every day.

Before I knew what I was doing, I set the soup down and threw the covers off of me, practically flying out of my room and down the stairs. I yanked open the front door and ran outside just as Tyler was getting back in his truck. When he saw me, his eyes widened in surprise. He barely had any time to react before I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him into a tight hug.

He hugged me tightly and mumbled into my neck, "I'm so sorry this happened to you."

I choked back a sob, "I thought-"

He must have read my thoughts because he pulled away and put his hands on either side of my face, "I would never ditch you. Do you hear me? You mean the world to me and you...what happened that night doesn't change how I feel about you, okay?" He brushed away a stray tear with his thumb and pulled me back into his warm embrace.

"It wasn't your fault."

And I believed him. About everything.

Maybe it wasn't my fault. Maybe I was just protecting myself. He said he was going to kill me. I just didn't let him do that.

Mom and the boss were standing in the doorway. Something inside of me broke. Not in a bad way...but maybe it was time I gave them a chance.

Everyone deserves a second chance.