Chapter 1: 18th

Sunlight shone into her room through a set of green curtains as she rummaged through a pile of clothes in her closet. Panic began to well up inside of her, where was it? She was certain this is where she had hidden it, unless someone had found it. She abandoned the pile and dove under her bed to begin franticly searching again. A power cord, stuffed animal, math homework (so that's where that was), but not was she was looking for. She yanked her head from under the bed and glanced at the time, 6:39 am, Zaiden had asked her to meet him at 6:50, but she couldn't leave without it. The sunlight shone onto a ball made of broken mirror pieces she had on her dresser, reflecting the lime green light all around her room like a disco ball. Luke had given it to her for her 11th birthday, he made it out of a mirror of hers Zaiden broke. That's when she finally remembered, she spun around to face the mirror (the intact one) hanging on her wall.

Running over to it, she caught a glimpse of her appearance in the reflective surface. Her plain straight brown/grey hair reached down to her waist begging to be brushed, and her acne dotted face didn't do much for her appearance. If only she was allowed a little makeup, but then she might be considered vain. It was of course an Affectionates job to be selfless and caring, selfishness had no place in her society. Her closet was full of plain grey clothing along with her school uniform and shoes. Her bedroom seemed to be the only way she could express herself, that's why she covered it with as much color as possible. You would never be able to tell the room belonged to her, at least not by appearance. Boring hair color, grey clothing, 5'4, average weight, thin lips, small nose, pale skin, everything about how she looked screamed plain and average, everything but her eyes.

Her bright green irises sparkled like emeralds when the sunlight hit them, matching the color of her lime green curtains, just more vibrant. Everything else about her might look plain and average, but one look at her eyes and you would know that's not true. They were constantly gleaming with excitement and creativity, something you didn't see often in an affectionate. Neither of her parents nor her sister had eyes like hers, they were all dark brown, the same is true for most Affectionates. Despite being all completely unrelated, most of her class seemed to look strikingly similar. You got the occasional blue or green eyes, but none quite as bright and vibrant as hers. Her mother often remarked that she was sure no one in the world has eyes like she did. That was obvious nonsense, but often strangers would mention how unusually green they were or complement her on their beauty. They stood out, gave her appearance the pop of color she was so desperate to have.

The buzzing of her phone snapped her back to reality. She pulled it out of her pocket and glanced at the screen. It was Zaiden, texting her to hurry up. Hurriedly she slid the mirror to one side revealing a small cubby behind it. Inside the cubby was a book named, Amethyst Adventures Vol 10. It was the final book in Luke's favorite series. Unfortunately, the series was pretty old and unpopular, so there weren't many copies left. She had managed to find it while thrifting with Zaiden, they split the price, and both agreed to give it as a joint gift. Sitting on top of the book was the card she had written for him, Happy 18th Birthday Loser, hope you get Protectate even though it would make you even more boring, from your besties Lina and Zaiden! Protectate was the class Luke was hoping to be chosen for, it symbolized discipline and order, it made sense the class was made up of lawyers and police officers. Order was definitely something Luke was fond of, which made it odd he was such good friends with Zaiden. Zaiden wasn't hoping for any class in particular, but we all knew he was going to be a Dilinquate. That class symbolized destruction and Chaos, Chaos pretty much described Zaiden's personality. Lina was hoping to be a Create, that class symbolized creativity and adventure, by far the best class in her opinion. Because she was born to a family of Affectionates though, she was required to look and act like one until her real class was chosen, and it could be any day now.