The trigger

-What am I to you Y/N?

You didn't understand the question right away.

-What do you mean? You asked.

He turned his head. A lot of thoughts crashing into each other at the same time. He didn't know if he should talk about that with you or with someone else like Annie or Reiner. He thought about it for a long time, before smiling at you.

-I wanted to know what we were like after all that, choosing the second option, waiting to see if you remembered.

-Oh! You blushed. Yeah, uhm. I don't really know. I like... you? You thought. Was it going too fast? Being with you, you continued.

He smiled shyly.

-Me too, since a long time Y/N...

He rubbed his hair as if to put it back in place. He looked outside and for the first time in a long time the sun was fully up. He hadn't woken up to see it slowly rising in the sky. He looked at you, tucking your hair behind your ears. He had loved you before, hadn't he? You had been someone very dear to him for a long time and now he could understand that somewhere, in another world, in another life, you were his chosen one. Yet you didn't end well. Definitely. An unpleasant aftertaste settled in his throat. An uneasy feeling. Were you meant to meet again and again but never be able to be together?

He held out his hand to you before folding it back.

-Shit! already at that time you cried out. I have to go home and sell this damn bottle.

you turned to him

-I think I can sell it now that I'm sure I can see you with no reason, right?

He looked at you without answering, which made you a little uncomfortable. Did he feel remorse for letting you sleep here? for both of you? You gritted your teeth.

-Mmm, he nodded. Of course, he did.

You breathed a relieved breath and placed a kiss on his forehead.

He took your arm.

He looked at you. You could have sworn you saw tears welling up in the corner of his eyes, but before you could say anything he picked up his phone.

-Your number... give it to me. Otherwise, you won't be able to contact me.

-Ah, yes, you laughed.

You exchanged numbers. Your relationship was so strange. You had skipped so many steps before you knew each other's names and exchanged numbers. A strange duo, you thought. You waved goodbye and silently walked down the stairs. However, silent, or not, his mother was in the hallway, surprised to see a shape that was not her son's coming down the stairs.

-Annie? she asked, frowning as she tried to get a glimpse of you.

-Um... no," you tried to say. I'm sorry. I'm a friend of Bertholdt's. I didn't mean to bother you.

-No, it's no problem.

Your faces met and she could swear she knew you.

-I'm sorry to bother you, I'm leaving... have a nice day...

You left her house without looking back, leaving behind a mortified woman. That face. No way. You looked so much like her.

-Impossible, she murmured, holding her hand to her heart. Bertholdt! she said before calling out his name again. Come down!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A week passed since that famous evening and you were finally able to sell your bottle for nearly $14,000, allowing you to pay for your sister but also to save a little for your studies.