Chapter Two - The Jewelry of a Silent Promise

~~~

I'm on a normal schedule now. So, the next chapter will be out in three days. If you wanna listen to music while you read I would suggest dark academia but do whatever you want. 

Thanks for reading! 

~~~

Sherlock explained vaguely of John. He waved his hands around attempting to convey the idea that it was unimportant.

That could only mean that he was one of the most important parts of Sherlock's life.

In his words, John was a friend. He wasn't as intelligent as the two and assisted Sherlock solve cases.

After Sherlock mentioned John's lack of intelligence she heard John shout that he wasn't an idiot.

His voice shook through the house. He didn't have a voice that was soaked in rage. It was similar to the way children shout while playing a game.

"How about you? You never told me that you were leaving." Cars honking outside filled the silence. "Not that I looked for you," He added quickly.

Alice didn't answer. She took a sip of her tea as John stumbled back into the kitchen.

There was the sound of clatter.

Cupboards opened and closed before a mug was placed on the counter. There was some more rooting. It sounded like a raccoon searching through a trash can.

Hot water was poured followed by milk being stirred. Then his footsteps retreated scoffing at the silence that settled between the two.

The city ambience swallowed them whole. Alice could be unreasonable at times but knew it wise not to answer Sherlock's question.

Darkness shed shapes of monsters across Sherlock's face. She looked at him only when his head turned.

He had grown in the years of her vanishing.

His dark hair looked like it hadn't been washed in far too long. Twisting colours of blue and green swirled in his Irises. The little light there was, bounced off his cheekbones.

"Alice?"

The flames of a caramel-scented candle flicked. It cast ghoulish shadows across the wall. She didn't risk meeting his eyes.

As a distraction, her eyes followed the story on the detailed wallpaper.

"I agree with John. It's late and I should get some rest."

"You can stay here, I'm sure-" He started but she cut him off.

"I already have a place."

His eyes plead with her. He was afraid that the night would eat her. That she would vanish into another life as she did before.

To ease his worries she made a silent promise.

Promises that are spoken out loud can be broken simply. But, promises made without a word were rarely broken. If not ever.

A worn messenger's bag was slung over her shoulder. She opened the pocket that had doodles done in black ink on the edges.

Inside was a collection of different items.

Some were bundled together such as a book, pens tied together with a ribbon, or a sketch pad.

Others were loose like crumbled sticky notes, bottle caps, or pebbles. One of these items was a ring.

The band was created out of strips of gold. It was similar to the branches of a dead tree. All the different parts interlock in a mesmerizing pattern.

In the centre was a black onyx stone. An orange dot of light danced across the surface.

She placed it on the table beside the teacup. It looked perfect enough to paint. Two old friends in the night, a ring resting in the shadow of a teacup.

Sherlock glanced at it. No emotion flashed across his face. He didn't recognize it.

"Where did you get it?"

"I stole it from a girl a few years back." To further the silent promise she added. "It's my favourite."

He nodded his head, sealing the promise.

Alice rested her hand on the strap of her bag and walked to the door. The knob made a well-oiled clicking noise as she turned it.

As the door opened a jar she turned back to him.

"Until tomorrow, Sherlock Holmes."

"Until tomorrow, Alice Carter."

The door swung closed behind her.

In the hall, darkness welcomed her once again. It stretched out its arms and wrapped her in a hug.

Though, this wasn't the same darkness that welcomed her years ago.

The darkness that existed in her memories lured her in. It drew her further until she knew that it was too late.

She couldn't be saved from those who she mistook for her friends.