Prologue

Cinderpaw raced toward the Thunderpath. Dustpaw had said this was where Tigerclaw, the great ThunderClan deputy, had found evidence of a ShadowClan invasion. Fireheart, Cinderpaw's mentor, had told the fluffy gray she-cat not to go, but Cinderpaw didn't listen. Her plan was that she could just go send the message that Bluestar was sick to Tigerclaw, and then Cinderpaw could just go back to the ThunderClan camp. I'm going to be the best warrior ever, Cinderpaw thought happily to herself, Fireheart will be so proud of me. Cinderpaw finally got to the edge of the Thunderpath. She smelled the air for anything that could confirm Tigerclaw was there. Nothing except a very stale scent, Cinderpaw thought. She couldn't even smell anything that could confirm ShadowClan warriors were even on ThunderClan territory after all. The gray she-cat's tail dropped with disappointment. Nothing, Cinderpaw thought sadly, perhaps a cat like Darkstripe or Longtail sent the message to Tigerclaw. Ill just head back to camp. She was about to pad back to camp when a huge red monster came crashing into her. Cinderpaw yowled in shock and wailed for help, but nothing happened. Cinderpaw felt her whole world go back.

Cinderpaw woke up in a den. She thought it was the apprentice den at first, but when she looked around she didn't see the other apprentices snoring around her. She smelled the sweet scent of herbs, and at once Cinderpaw realized she must be in the medicine cat den. Fireheart was talking with Yellowfang, anxiously glancing at Cinderpaw a number of times. Yellowfang mumured something. Fireheart nodded and padded away. "Will I ever be a warrior now?" Cinderpaw thought to herself, "will I ever train with Fireheart again?" Cinderpaw soon drifted off to sleep.