Bort/Musashi

A/N: First chapter and we're plunging straight into the things that no one expects. Sorry about that. :P I actually may turn this into a full story. Buuut probably not.

Character focuses: Bort (Houseki No Kuni), Musashi (Kantai Collection), Nagato(?) (Kantai Collection), Kiyoshimo(?) (Kantai Collection)

~~~

A loud, booming thud was heard coming from Bort's left along with a grunt and a spray of seawater to their back. Instantly, they averted their gaze from the sky and snapped their head in that direction, spying a small puff of smoke leaving Musashi's lightly damaged body.

"Gah, the first turret!" Musashi glanced back for a moment at the damaged turret before whipping her head back towards the sky, rolling out bursts of almost minuscule anti-air gun bullets to various aircraft to her bow.

"The first turret..." Bort repeated quietly to themselves, staring at Musashi, then focusing her gaze up towards more incoming aircraft. Shoulders tensing up and legs locking in place, they swore they could feel a chill run down their spine when they remembered words that Musashi had told them before- a thought that had nearly slipped in their mind.

...

"You see." A shadow cast over Bort as the massive battleship stood facing the yellow light from the musty library window, tone of voice unchanging from it's almost whimsical state. However, something about it seemed different. Bort didn't know what exactly, but something had changed. "There is a certain something that's always at work around here. Are you aware of what exactly it is?"

Bort had studied up and nearly knew everything about ship mechanics and how things worked around here. So they tried taking a few chances to guess. "The fairies."

"Hm, not quite." Musashi was seen raising her head, her back remaining facing Bort.

They lowered their head. "Us."

"You're getting closer, still not there yet."

"Our bodily functions and rigging."

"Oookay." Musashi sighed a huff of air, turning her body halfway to meet eyes with Bort. "Now that answer may or may not be related, but it's probably nothing someone like you'd mention in a century." She let out a small hearty chuckle from her chest, as Bort saw with low eyes (They were aware Musashi was teasing them), but after shifting to face them completely, the larger battleship had now a steady, solemn, expression. Yet, she kept a light smile on her face, a knowing smile, which to Bort had indicated only the best of Musashi.

After a moment of silence covered by the ambience of birds fluttering outside, Bort decided to ask- they were curious and knowing this-whatever this is- could potentially help out in the future. "What is it?"

"Something... called fate." Her smile grew wider, more knowing. Her eyes reflected experiences and many awful occurrences that were never spoken of. The background yellow light was soft against Musashi's body, resonating around her figure vividly...

And fate could be changed.

...

This could only mean one thing.

Bort realized now- fate was always turning it's wheels here in this world.

But there is now another difference. Someone perfectly capable of changing it was here.

Bort was here. And that was all they needed.

"Kiyoshimo!" Bort made sure their voice reached the smaller destroyer- they were much farther apart considering they were in separate fleets. "A torpedo bomber to Musashi's stern amidship! Destroy it with Anti-Air fire."