Chapter 13: Siege Warfare

When Peter and Henry arrived in Budapest, they were met at the airport by their Hungarian contact Miklos Bozsik, along with John Hobhouse. Like Peter and Henry, John was technically assisting in an advisory capacity, but the weight he carried as Interpol's liaison on art crimes would stand them in good stead. The Hungarians were as eager as everyone else to bring Ydrus to justice. John told Peter privately that the head of Interpol had already spoken with Miklos's supervisor and obtained his promise of full cooperation.

Miklos, a burly brick of a man with a shock of dark hair, was a veteran of twenty-plus years in the service. Art crimes weren't normally his bailiwick, but Ydrus's connections to the illegal arms trade had him salivating. John had already briefed him on the case before Peter and Henry arrived.

Sara was waiting for them in the ad hoc command center Miklos had designated for their use at police headquarters, a futuristic-looking circular edifice in glass. Mozzie, aka Leonard Urskwith, was conducting surveillance at the castle. Sara planned to return as soon as the meeting was concluded. John had already met Sara and had worked with her on several cases when she was stationed in London.

"Were you able to see Neal again?" Henry asked as soon as he saw Sara, not commenting on her altered appearance. She was wearing a frizzled curly wig and wire rims.

"No, unfortunately," Sara said, likewise making no mention of their disguises. "Leonard and I spent the day noting traffic patterns. We were both able to sneak in at various times and familiarize ourselves with the layout. Even though I spent as long as I could at delivering linens to the third floor, no one requested I enter Neal's room. Rolf's suite appears to be on the same floor. I was able to catch a glimpse of him coming out of it."

She placed a portfolio on the table. "We made drawings of the floorplan inside as well as key outside areas. The basement contains several locked rooms. They're probably where weapons and any art treasures are stored." She spread the papers for all to study.

"I've secured the necessary warrants," Miklos said. "Obtaining them so quickly would have been more difficult if we'd had to rely solely on the evidence Miss Ellis provided. But Count Lamberg's involvement greased the wheels. The count has been in poor health for the past several years. He hasn't been seen in public for over nine months. Given the count's importance, my chief has given me full authority to verify his condition along with that of your consultant."

"The count's relatives in the UK came to us expressing their concern," John told Sara. "They believe something may have happened to him since they haven't received any information. They fear his staff may have taken advantage of him." In reality, the count had only one distant cousin in England, an elderly man living in a skilled nursing facility, but the connection was sufficient for the authorities in Hungary to give their blessing to the op.

"The relatives' worries are quite justified," Miklos pointed out. "We were able to track down his doctor. The last time he saw the count was eighteen months ago."

"Early morning will be the best time to make an approach," Sara said. "For the past two days, a delivery truck from a local supplier has arrived at eight in the morning. It's waved through to the back entrance. The guard doesn't bother checking credentials."

Henry jabbed a finger at the sketch of a flight pad on one of the drawings. "How many helicopters do they have?"

"Three," Sara said. "They'll all need to be disabled before we make our entrance."

Miklos jotted a few lines on his notepad. "A couple of the men on our team have experience with such matters." He glanced at Sara. "From what you've told me, your associate is quite adept as well."

"Leonard could disable them on his own if necessary," she agreed.

Henry's cell phone rang while they were outlining their strategy. He excused himself to take the call in the hallway. When he returned, he didn't comment on it, but whatever it was, the news couldn't have been good. Henry's face was even grimmer than before.