i need you pt. 2

As Mary's peaceful dream faded to darkness, new sensations greeted her waking mind.

The first being that she was really cozy. From the slight chill in her toes to the perfect entanglement of her limbs with her blankets, her body felt at peace pressed against her pillows. The other sensation being the comforting strokes on the back of her head easing her eyes open. The sweet motion held a safety that Mary wanted to savor, so she kept still as her eyes surveyed her room.

Her right eye was shut close by her pillowcase, which had a rougher and more worn texture than she realized. The white sunlight flooded her room, signaling that it was well into the morning.

That explains the heat.

Since waking, her skin has begun to absorb the excess of warmth underneath her thick comforter and big sweater. Her arms felt especially heavy, almost to the point of losing feeling in her right. She took a sharp breath of air as she was reminded of the prickly pain, but if she moved the nice touches on her head would go away.

Wait a damn minute.

She was awake enough to now remember her breakdown from last night and who she called into the crossfire. This was probably a decision she would scold herself for later, but she couldn't deny she felt a whole hell of a lot better with Yumeko being there. Even now her kind hands were brushing Mary's hair with care and adoration.

She processed her thoughts and connected a couple dots—for example, the extra firm blankets tangled with her legs were in fact Yumeko's legs and the structured pillow she was holding tightly was Yumeko's torso—while listening to Yumeko's steady heartbeat and moving with the rise and fall of her chest.

Holy shit her face is in Yumeko's boobs.

Panicking, she tried to create extreme distance between Yumeko and herself, but her right arm was caught under the former's back. Now her head tucked into her collarbone awkwardly. The faint smell of jasmine and vanilla eased the blow of her absolutely graceful tumble back into Yumeko. Mary had always loved that perfume she wore.

Giggles reverberated through her chest, and Mary felt her blood run cold.

"Are you awake?" her light voice crackled with a tired smile.

Were you thinking when you invited her to stay? How could you expect for things not to be weird after this? She was awake that whole time, wasn't she.

Mary's thoughts were running a race to see who could prove that she's an idiot first, and all of them were winning. Too overwhelmed by how much had happened in the little time she woke up, all Mary could say was a simple, "Yeah."

"Good morning," Yumeko yawned as she stretched her arms, hand pulling away from Mary's head. "How'd you sleep?"

Better than I have in months, and I'm almost certain it's because of you.
"Pretty okay, how about you?"

"Great. You're awfully comfortable," Mary groaned, taking this as her chance to remove herself from Yumeko. Quietly, she wanted to spend the rest of her life cuddling with her, but she was way too embarrassed to be so close to Yumeko's... yeah.

"You're not uncomfortable," Mary said, sitting into her hands.

"What a compliment," Yumeko lifted herself off her back, "considering you looked so peaceful."

"Pshh, I did not look peaceful."

"How do you know what you looked like? You were asleep?"

Mary sighed in defeat. As her eyes wandered around the room, determined to look anywhere but at the giggling girl beside her, an even more embarrassing thought crossed her mind.

"Oh no, your hoodie must be ruined," Mary brought a hand up to cover her eyes.

"Huh? What are you talking about?" Yumeko seemed genuinely confounded. A couple seconds later, she comprehended what was just said and looked to her hoodie. "Oh, its not ruined at all. It's black, so you couldn't see even if it is." A smirk lifted the corners of her lips: "But if you think its ruined, you can keep it."

Mary could've sworn her heart tripped over itself in her ribcage. The mere idea of keeping that hoodie—the same hoodie that smelled just like Yumeko and would remind her of last night everytime she even looked at it—made her insides turn to mush. It was possessive and sweet and not the most platonic gift.

That didn't stop Mary from considering.

"Oh no, I think I broke her. You don't have to accept my offer-"

"Nonononono, I'm not rejecting you- or it, the idea, I just am still waking up, and I'm spacing out, hah."

Yumeko nodded her head, "Oh yeah?"

"Yep, I don't see any problem with borrowing your hoodie for a while. At all. As long as you're offering, of course. It's not that big of a deal or anything."

"Cool," Yumeko began pulling on her sleeves, "Keep it for as long as you want," Mary felt like an intrusion—even if she was just taking off a hoodie—and kept her line of vision anywhere but near Yumeko.

After she folded the hoodie into a neat square, Yumeko presented it with both hands holding the collar, "For you."

Mary returned her focus back to Yumeko and tried her damnedest to ignore her surprise shoulders from her gray tanktop. "Thanks," she mumbled, accepting the hoodie, blushing from ear to ear.

"If it's not a big deal, why do you look like it's a big deal."

"You're the one who folded it!"

"Because I'm polite."

"Because you're dramatic."

Yumeko sighed, "Take good care of it." She swung her legs over the edge of Mary's bed and lifted herself up. "Are we still doing something today?" she asked after stretching her arms over her head.

"Yeah, yeah, if you're still up for it," Mary silently admired how soft the hoodie fabric was in her hands as she unfolded it into her lap.

"Of course, I just have to go get ready, but before I leave," she outstretched her arms, "Can I get a final hug?"

Mary couldn't hold back her smile as she stood up from the bed and walked toward Yumeko: "You've been horizontally hugging me all night, and you still need another hug?"

"I can never get enough of your hugs," Mary let herself submit to the healing of effects of Yumeko's embrace and enveloped her arms around her waist.

"Thank you for texting me. You mean the world to me, and I'm glad I could be there for you."

Mary shook her head in disbelief. Even after everything she's done, Yumeko was thanking Mary: "Thank you for even being here. I don't know what I would do without you."

Wordlessly, Yumeko pulled back, and they started into each other's eye for a moment too long. She was so close. Mary could see the affectionate glint in those ruby eyes. She wanted to brush those messy bangs out of her face and cup her rosy cheeks in her hands. Mary wanted to memorize the rounded arch of her brows and trace every contour on her face. But dangerously, she wanted to feel Yumeko's smiling lips on her own. 

"I'll text you when I'm ready," Mary regained her self-control and hesitantly pulled away, opting to hold Yumeko's hand instead.

"Perfect."

If Mary's abrupt behavior didn't make that moment painfully obvious, than Yumeko's wistful (devastating) smile definitely did.

After she walked Yumeko to the door, gave her one last side hug, and waited for her footsteps to enter the elevator, Mary groaned into her hands.

"Why the fuck didn't I kiss her?!"