01

Riley.

I feel as if the city is a beckon of my livelihood. Almost like my emotions are fixated on the energy of the populated streets.

Every time a door opens, a gush of air brings an individual inside. And every single time, there's another personal narrative of the world that no one else is aware of.

The breeze circulating New York City reaches those who may be living the most inimitable day or those who are dreading taking another breath. But either way, we'll never have any clue of how the surroundings impact their life. And that's what I crave whilst living in a city known for never sleeping.

My heart burns for NYC. Burns for the skylines.

"What about this place?"

Trinity's voice penetrates the air with an analytical tone. Her eyes peer over my head as I follow their path to the front of a shop. The bell above the door chimes as I train my eyes on people coming out.

"Don't you think we're cheating on Peet's Coffee if we go inside?" I wonder as my vision closes on the corner coffee shop. It was a further walk than I typically travel, but sometimes the best things require extra effort.

Grand windows and dangling lights overhead outside tables. Grey-painted brick among avenues of red brick behind a chalkboard sign along the street.

Trin's lips curl into themselves, "I think that we can keep a secret."

"I know I can. But you on the other hand." I trail off, pulling the single door open.

She glares my way after stepping inside, but it instantly drops it when a voice addresses our entry, "Welcome in,"

"Well, I just like talking. And at some points, I run out of things to say." Trinity says as I communicate a smile to the barista.

I don't believe that for a second.

She would do research just to have something to say to you, even if neither of you could care. But no matter how much she talks, she'll put the same energy forward to listen to others. And that's why I love her.

Staring at the barista behind the counter and the line of customers ahead of her, I say, "With who? Cause I don't think you have ever been silent with me."

I've known her since junior year. She became my best friend in a matter of moments. I can easily meet people, but everything I had experienced was surface level, till her. But the next thing I recall was receiving information about her relationship with my brother.
Gross.

At the start, I was doubtful of what they claimed they had. Who wouldn't be? If anything between them didn't work out, it would ultimately result in me favoring a side.

My best friend or my brother.

They both would speak about how that wouldn't be necessary, but that's merely how it goes.

But once I witnessed the adoration between them, I couldn't act pessimistic about their happiness. And after that, they attempted to keep their relationship under control for my sake, which I wasn't complaining about. Sex details from either of them weren't anything I planned on hearing.

"That's because you also enjoy talking." She acknowledges, stepping behind a man in the line. I follow her lead, nodding my head as I study the artwork on the surrounding walls, "That's true. But I can keep secrets as well."

I have no shame in expressing my mind.

I don't attempt to hurt anyone's feelings with my honesty, if anything I try to stay silent on things that wouldn't be beneficial to hear. But I tend to speak my voice before I can process what left through my lips.