02

Riley.

"That was the worst block ever." She yells and I'm utterly shocked if not everyone hears her outburst.

The group of frat boys in front of us turn back. Their furrowed eyebrows unscrunch as the three of them scan our bodies, and an easily acknowledged grin overturns on their lips.

Why do men even exist?

"Sorry," I say, burying my repulsion below an embarrassed wave. I remove my gaze from the guys and focus on Evelyn's rich, copper-red hair to my right.

Evelyn's a student at NYU whom I met two years ago when I first got my nails done at her studio. She has tanned skin with green, downturned eyes, and luscious hair extensions that reach her waist.

Evelyn met up with us at the stadium entrance. This is her home field, so Trinity and I waited to navigate the stadium until she could guide us.

"What is that coach thinking?" Trinity questions, her hand motioning the heads of the boys the other way. They shift their gawking from our silhouettes to the field.

NYU is currently dominating the score at 37-31. And it's fair to assume Trinity is upset. Columbia has a track record of falling behind in the last quarter, and this game seems to not be unlike it.

Personally, the score doesn't bother me, but I've never been involved in the sport. Even with my decade in football due to endless hours of supporting my brother and dad's passion for the game, I've put little time into understanding what the different plays and positions are.

"That he wants his team to win?" Evelyn wonders, setting her ketchup-covered corn dog back in the tray on her lap. She wipes her fingertips off with a napkin.

Between the third and fourth quarters of the game, I left our seats for the concession stands. The smell of popcorn, nachos, and pretzels whirls in the air. And I can't resist the greasy food and bitter beer. It's football ethics.

A decent number of students work at the snack vendors during the sports season. It's a way to earn money and still feel included in the game atmosphere.

I butt in the conversation, directing my finger at the logo above the scoreboard, "Trinity, keep in mind we're at NYU's field."

"Sorry for wanting our school to not have an embarrassing loss," Trin mutters under her breath, taking ahold of her hair and holding it off her back to prompt a breeze against her frame.

The city's beauty evolves with the seasons, and during the end of Summer and the beginning of Fall, New York has a magical glow. And heat. The sun blazes until sunset.

And my hair can't compete with the humidity.

"You don't know. We could change the score in the last minute." I shrug, glancing at the LED scoreboard once more in case it changed between now and when I last checked.

Evelyn opens her mouth and tilts her head, "I don't think that's how it works."

"Well of course you hope not. After all, it's your team and boyfriend down there." Trinity states, shaking her head as she adjusts her posture.

Evelyn is dating Aaron, NYU's wide receiver. They began college as friends from high school until they got paired up on an English assignment. They fell in love over Pride and Prejudice. Now they're settled down in an apartment with Elijah and Trinity.

I call the apartment the 'lover's corner'.

"You're right," Evelyn says, shoving her hands up in defeat. Trinity gracefully nods her head in acceptance.