Chapter One

I wake up and my house is cold. I sigh, slightly, and realize that Dad probably has the air conditioner on full blast from a hangover from the night's events. He doesn't usually drink-definitely no alcoholic-but last night he'd been with friends and he cut loose, I guess. 

I quickly strip and pull on jeans, a tank top, and a hoodie. All of my clothes are too big on me, but it doesn't really matter, I supose. I walk out of my room to the bathroom, put on some eyeliner and brush my teeth quickly. Then, I step into the hallway and into our kitchen. Our house is small, with only one layer, though Dad has a decent income. 

I make breakfast, quickly and quietly, and pour some orange juice. I grab two pills of Asprin and take a plate to him in the living room. He's sprawled over the couch, groaning. He looks awful. I smile softly and place the breakfast and medicine on the coffee table.

"Eat this when you're better, okay, Dad?" I whisper, but he just mumbles in response and puts a pillow over his head. I smile again and grab my back pack beside the door and head out. 

I walk to my friend, Maria's, house and knock on the door. I get a ride from her in the mornings, and sometimes wake her up. However, when the door swings open, it's her very freckeled, very angry and awake face that greets me.

I smile and say, "Good morning, Maria."

She growls and picks up her bag, swings it over one shoulder, and pushes past me to get to the drive way.

"Why are you mad?" I ask, as we both slip into her somewhat rusted car. She pulls out of the drive way and starts driving us to Starbucks.

She throws a glare at me. "Why the hell do you think, Lisa? It isn't even holy to be up this early. I just fuc- I mean, I literally just woke up five minutes ago."

I don't like swearing, and I yell whenever I catch her being a potty mouth. "Well, at least you'll be early to school. We're usually late, so maybe this could be a nice change?"

She rolls her eyes, rubbing a hand threw her curly hair. "Why the heck do you think we get there late?"

"I don't know. I just figured you were disorganized," I say, and she rolls her eyes again.

"You're ridiculous," Maria mumbles, but pulls into Starbucks. 

I follow her inside as she tries to decide what to order. "Can you buy me one? I'm a bit short on cash at the moment."

"Lisa, you are completely tactless. Seriously. How are you allowed out?" She says, but hands me a five dollar bill. I smile.

"I'm going to pretend I know what tactless means. Thank you," I say and order a caramel frappacino. 

We sit down at a table and put our stuff down. We don't usually get here early enough to get a table, so it's a nice surprise. I take off the lid from my frappacino and begin eating the whipped cream. Maria eyes me as I slowly enjoy the treat.

"You are so weird. Remind me why I associate with you again?" She asks, sipping her regular black coffee.

"Because you love me?"

She smiles slightly and shakes her head. "Sure. Let's just go with that." I push her slightly on the arm as we begin to babble about an English project.

A lot of kids from our school come into this Starbucks, particularly because it's not even a block away from school. People begin to trickle in, a couple giving us weird looks. I decide that's probably because I'm still eating my whipped cream with my fingers.

Still, it doesn't prepare me for the glare I get from a handsome blonde. He's got very strong features, sort of like a statue. He looks mean, and about my age so I try to place him. I can't. However, I can definitely identify the guy standing next to him.