Prologue

The fearful mother and her child sprinted hand-in-hand, amidst the heavy thunderstorm that now loomed over the sky of Helix City. The high-pitched screeches of their pursuers echoed through the walls and buildings around them.

"Don't let go of me, Kou!"

The boy, struggling to keep up with his mother, would nearly trip or tumble when his foot splashed on a puddle, but the mother would quickly pull him back onto his feet. The heavy torrent and flashes of lightning made it difficult for him to see where they were running, or what they were running away from. 

The screeches were getting closer and closer, until Raikou could hear them right above him, as if they were following him and his mother from rooftop to rooftop. But he did not dare look up.

All of sudden, his mother tripped off her feet, throwing both herself and Raikou onto the wet walkway. As soon as he got up, the young boy rushed over to his mother.

"Kou, I don't think I can go any further," she said to him, while glancing at her broken high heel and sprained ankle.

"No! You said we have to get away from here!" the boy cried as he struggled to lift his mother up.

"Baby, please. Just go," she begged him.

"I won't!"

"You should listen to your mother, boy!" bellowed a heavy, monstrous voice.

Lightning flashed and thunder roared, as a heavy footsteps dropped down in front of the mother and son. Another lightning flash revealed its monstrous visage for Raikou, a towering humanoid beast with yellow and blue-striped body, a grin of sharp teeth and a set of thick claws on its muscular arms. 

"Because you're not going to want to see what comes next," said the monster, who Raikou now noticed looked like one of the monsters he had heard from one of Tokine's stories; the vicious wyvern known as Tigrex. 

Claudia immediately pulled her son to her and hugged him tight. "You stay away from my boy, you hear me? You can take me, but don't you dare hurt him!"

The Tigrex-like humanoid burst into a cackle while it slowly approached the two. "Tough luck, insect! But Master Lagant wants both you and your little offspring dead!"

"So why don't you spend your last moments saying your goodbye."

Much to Claudia's shock, Raikou suddenly broke free from her arms and went to stand in between her and the monster. 

"You leave my mother alone! Can't you see you're scaring her!?" the boy, who was only a third of the humanoid monster's size, shouted with a voice that was absent of fear.

"Such an adorable display of stupidity," the monster laughed, before raising its clawed arm over its head. "Fine. I'll let her watch me tear you apart!"

Claudia could only cry out in terror as the monster brought its claws down on her little boy. At the last second, just as the strike was about to land, a bright land radiated from Raikou's body. A pair of flaming wings burst out from the young boy's chest and attacked the monster, sending it flying backwards and into a puddle of water. 

After delivering its attack, the wings of flame evaporated in the rain, and Claudia was left stunned at what had just happened. But she immediately snapped out of it when she saw that Raikou has lost consciousness and was tumbling backwards, prompting her to quickly spring forward and catch his little body in her arms.

"No, no, no! Kou!" Claudia tearfully caressed her son's forehead. She was slightly relieved at the feel of his pulse and his faint breathing.

"You...what did you just do?" growled the monster, who had just got himself out of the puddle. His torso had been badly charred from where the wings of flame had just struck him.

"I'll make you both pay for this!" 

"Finish Arts!! Nova Divide!!" 

Another silhouette descended in front of the monster. With the scorching orange blade wielded in his hands, he unleashed a powerful horizontal slash which obliterated the monster in an explosive blast. Its final roar of defeat echoed amidst the torrential rain.

After the killing blow was delivered, the hot orange blade of the stranger's greatsword became a cold dark blue. Raikou, who was fading in and out of consciousness at the time, managed to catch a glimpse of the armoured warrior, whose body is covered in red and dark blue plates that looked like the scales and shells of a monster. The warrior, in turn, stared back at him with the fierce blue eyes of his helmet.

"That was very brave of you, young one."

Those were the last words that the 9 year old boy heard, before the world around him faded out.