Chapter 1

"You called Lily?" Big Red's eyes went wide as he heard the news from his best friend.

"Yes." Ricky simply confirmed.

"What happened?"

"We met up. She apologized for this semester..."

"Then what?" The redhead frowned at the look on Ricky's face.

"We kissed." He admitted.

"Oh. Well... what's happening now?"

"She asked me out again."

"You didn't say yes, did you?"

"I did." Ricky confirmed.

"Why?" Big Red groaned. "She's a jerk, Ricky!"

"People can have second chances."

"But couldn't you have... just... gave her a chance as a friend before going off and dating the girl who messed with my girlfriend and I's self confidence?"

"She just wanted to win, she didn't go about it the best way."

"Stop defending her if you haven't even gone out." Big Red said, aggravated. "I can't stop you from dating her—"

"Of course you can't, no one gets to tell anyone who they can be with."

"I know, that's exactly why I'm not doing that. I'm just trying to knock some sense into you, can you not see how Lily acts? Maybe she has good intentions, but she could work on herself before you go and... date her."

"I don't understand." Ricky rolled his eyes. "Look, I already said yes."

"You really can't understand?" Big Red sighed. "She insulted me. She insulted Ashlyn. She made us do a dance-off and changed schools because she's so competitive—"

"She's determined, give her a chance."

"I'm sorry, Ricky, but until I have proof that Lily isn't a problem, I'm not forgiving her. And I just feel like you could wait awhile before dating a traitor."

"That's a little dramatic." Ricky glared.

"Is it? She moved because she didn't get the lead. And, as I keep having to remind you, she's rude to all our friends."

"She's never been rude to me." Ricky pointed out.

"Can you please just... not jump into dating her, please?" Big Red asked. "I do think people deserve second chances, but... that just hurts, Ricky." He fidgeted with his coat pocket's zipper. "I think it would hurt Ashlyn. I think everyone would be mad."

"Why should I care what other people think, though?"

"I'm done with this conversation." Big Red mumbled. "I'm going to Ash's."

"We're at your house."

"Okay, well, I'm leaving. My mom's here, she loves you, if you want to stay." He said, leaving the room and walking upstairs. He got in his car. He didn't drive to Ashlyn's house yet, first putting his head against his steering wheel. It felt weird for his best friend to do something like this and not hear him out one bit.

Ashlyn was reading on her couch when he showed up. She was near falling asleep, she was always so busy with schoolwork, clubs, and hadn't caught up on missed sleep from the time of playing the lead in Beauty and the Beast. Regardless, she tried not to sleep during the day generally, but if given about 10 more minutes she would have fallen asleep.

The sound of the doorbell stopped her, closing her book and answering the door since her parents where out of town. She was happy to see her boyfriend, who she hugged before either of them spoke. "Hey babe."