Mel's Part- POV The Illness

I surveyed with amusement as the child in front of me screamed in fear and desperation. The two men dressed in black garbage bags laughed. They turned to the woman beside them; her mouth was covered by duct tape. A muffled scream tore from her throat. The child continued to annoyingly sob. I smirked.

The men drifted over to the woman and ripped the duct tape from her mouth, the dominant slapped her hard before she could draw attention to the container. She winced at the pain, clearly getting the message.

"Please don't hurt my son! He's not involved with this, let him go!"

One of the men grabbed the screaming child. "Your mommy is not a very nice lady, is she? She stole from us and she lied to us. She never even loved you or your daddy." The air that separated me and the child became hostile, I could feel it. The energy fuelled me.

The dumb woman tried to scream to her child that it was not true, the evil soldier slapped her across the face, this time drawing blood from her swollen lip.

"This will be fun!" The man joyfully sang as he signalled for another man to bring him a chainsaw. He ripped it a couple times before it turned on. The roar of the chainsaw gave me a sense of joy. The woman begged for her life. The child ran across the bloody plastic into a corner, obverting his eyes to not see the massacre that was about to happen. As she screamed for her child, blood splattered all over the plastic covered walls as she was being cut into pieces. The child sobbed in the corner as the dominant man laughed. This was the beginning; I attached myself to him. I became a passenger.

I followed him for years, watching him in disgust as he grew up to be a young man with promise. It's not time yet, I'm not powerful enough. I would usually watch him as he would sleep, until one night, I crept into the subconsciousness of his mind and began my fun. Every memory of that day where he watched his mother die is what he would see every time he closed his eyes. I made him feel everything he felt that night, to the point where he believed it was his fault for not being able to save her. I was gaining control.

He was getting weaker and I loved it. The dreams were giving him urges to kill, years of becoming desensitized swelled like an eroding dam, holding back a powerful body of water. Then one day, I followed him as he snuck over to the neighbours backyard, I watched him in glee as he plunged a kitchen knife into the mutt's neck. He leaned back and embraced the feeling of his empty void being filled, I gained more power.

I continued to follow him into his adult life, where he found himself a decent paying job as a cop, but nothing in the mortal world could fix the void in his soul. Many more animal deaths attempted to fix him, however animals were not enough. He knew he could not bring himself to end a human life: I was getting impatient. I whispered into his mind and reminded him of the people who murdered his mother. Finally, I broke the walls of resistance and drove him to kill a human; an overdosed drug addict, dying in an alleyway. He took the plunge and drove dagger deep into the druggie's chest, a clean kill. He lunged backwards off of the corpse, staring in horror at what he did. I smiled inside his mind, taking control of his mortal body and repetitively stabbed the dead man in the chest. I now had complete control.

As he stirred in bed unable to sleep, I began to manifest, the darkest corner of his room was where I would make my presence. The nightlight he had lit drove shadows everywhere, it was easy to hide. Silly mortal. He rose from his bed, looking around the room confused until he saw me. "Who's there?" He whispered into the empty, cold air.

"It's me, your mommy. I missed you." I crawled out of the dark corner and took shape of his mother. His eyed widened.

"Th...that's not possible.. I saw you die.." His words stuttered, the smile on my face grew as the fear skyrocketed in him.

"You killed me. You didn't stop them from all the torture I went through, just to keep you alive."

His body trembled.

"You're the reason why I'm dead!" I drew the knife out of my chest- the same area where he had killed the overdosing drug addict, I pointed it at him.

I warped the room that we were in it to the storage container where it all began, the same bloody plastic covered walls and floor.

I gently leaned forward and caressed his shoulder, "Now its your time to die." I lunged at my prey and began to attack him. He threw the knife away and started to choke me to the ground, I attempted struggled away from his tight grip- victory swiped across his face, but it's not over yet. I left the body and manifested into a second being resembling his mother on the other side of the container. I picked up the knife that was tossed away and slowly made my way towards him, making sure to not be heard. I was a shadow.

I stood over him, he made no move. Crouched, in front of the dead and decaying body of his butchered mother. I smiled through his mind. He jerked around and looked up at me. I shoved his body onto the floor so he was facing me and stabbed multiple times in the chest.

I had won. I began to fade away as his life slowly drained.

-

His body spazzed and looked around, he was no longer in the blood covered container but in his the sanctity own room with the nightlight he left on. He was alone. He felt a sharp pain and a wet sensation, then looked down and slowly pulled the knife out of his own chest.