Chapter 4: Summer (bet you thought you'd seen the last of me)

A/N: You know, I always think I'm over these two and then my dumb ass just keeps crawling back for more... otp for life I guess

Winter had come and gone, and soon Gold and Silver found themselves out of school and desperately lacking in things to do. As a result the boys had spent it mostly in one or the other's room, switching off every day or so.

Currently, Gold was laying on his back on Silver's bed, holding his DS up and playing a game Silver didn't recognize. Silver was laying across Gold's stomach, staring at the ceiling and eating goldfish, only tearing his eyes away to look at Gold when he made the occasional displeased noise. Or when Sneasel tried to sneak some human food.

"Don't you think we should find something real to do?" Gold asks suddenly. To Silver, it doesn't quite sound like he's convinced himself yet.

"...Yeah?"

Silver phrases it as a question, not sure what Gold's thinking yet. His Quilava flared up excitedly.

"We should go battle."

"But then we have to put on clothes," Silver points out, gesturing to their matching plaid Pokeball pajamas.

(Silver had "borrowed" his pair from Gold. 3 months ago.) (Gold didn't mind.)

"Silver, we have to make our youth count. What about when we're old and all we can tell our kids is that we laid on the bed and ate goldfish for 3 months straight? Then we'd probably regret this."

Silver made a face in Gold's direction, but still hoisted himself up off of Gold and onto his feet, stretching and making his shirt ride up.

Gold jabbed at Silver's pale stomach from the bed, an evil grin residing on his face, before he also rose and headed over to the closet.

"So what are we feeling today? Gym shorts and a T-shirt?" Gold asks, as if there's even a choice to be made.

"That's you every day, dummy," Silver says, rolling his gray eyes to the back of his head.

"Well, I don't own anything else, so unless you wanna walk back to your house..."

There's a moment where Silver actually looks like he's considering it before he concedes. "Fine, but I call the black ones."

"No!" Gold moans and Silver makes a face.

"Do I even want to know why I can't have the black ones?" he asks in an accusatory tone.

"It's nothing bad, geez!" Gold says, taking the black shorts with yellow stripes out of Silver's hands. "The black ones are just my favorite, and I think the green ones would match your hair really well."

"That is absolutely the gayest thing I've ever heard."

"You love it. You love me."

"I must, to keep agreeing to shit like this." But Silver obediently takes the dark green shorts anyways.

---

As soon as they're both changed into Gold's clothes, they venture out into the woods behind Gold's house. From there, they walk further and further with their whole teams released, until they can't hear the buzz of the city behind them anymore.

Once they're deep into the forest they hold hands; not because they're scared, but because when a place is so silent and almost spiritual, it helps to feel as anchored to someone as you can.

"Alright," Gold says mischievously as they reach a clearing, dropping Silver's hand and sprinting a couple feet away. "Let's do this!"

Gold and Silver had battled countless times, but Silver was the current champ. He was acting as such, yawning while his Sneasel sharpened its claws on a nearby tree. Gold returned his team in preparation, fingers gliding across his pokeballs in preparation.