Sunday, January 7th

12:30 AM

I've been waiting at the base of the cherry tree for ten minutes. I wipe cherry blossoms off my "Pet Cemetery" shirt. I check my phone.

Nothing.

A black sedan pulls up, slightly curving into the wrong lane. Damien rolls down their window, waving at me. Their hair is tied up into a small ponytail at the top of their head, they're wearing a cute violet button up t-shirt. I hop in the passengers side, they put on some cool jams and head for the bridge.

Crossing onto the mainland, Damien rolls down all the windows, showering us in fresh sea air. They laugh as I stick my arm outside moving my hand with the waves.

I have never smiled this much. Ever.

Pulling into the parking lot, we jump out of the car. Damien grabs my hand, dragging me into the mall. Staring at many different stores, Damien finds a suit shop. We enter, Gazing at the many wares. They call me over to a bright green suit jacket paired with a black shirt and white dress pants. I instantly fell in love. They pull out a debit card,

"My treat!" No matter what I say, they don't let down. I'm getting this suit if I like it or not.

I walk into a dress store, getting overwhelmed with the femininity of it all. Damien seems to love every bit of it. I wander into a small bookstore, gazing at the LGBT section. I pick up a book, "Lily and Dunkin." Sounds good. I pay in cash. I reunite with Damien and we wander into the food court, eating Dairy Queen Ice-cream and people-watching.

"Carlea? Where the hell are you? Don't hide from your mother!"

"Carlea! You aren't a boy. Where did you get this stupid idea from?"

"Carlea, You disappoint me. "

"Carlea. I hate you."

---

I wake up, laying in Damien's car. I spot them standing on the beach a few steps away. I call out to them, they turn around. They wave for me to come to them. I take off my shoes, digging my toes into the sand. Damien takes my hand, wiping their tears.

"You fell asleep in the mall, you were able to walk back to the car but.. You kept on calling out to your mom, asking her to not hurt you. Ethan, are you okay?" Their eyes glow with concern, I hug them tightly.

"My parents are dead."