Chapter Two - Joshua

just before heading to bed I glanced at my phone

'Hey Josh, can I come over?'

Mike...

I really had to stop this, but part of me had this fairy tale in my head where Mike would suddenly declare his love for me and we'd run off into the sunset and live happily ever after, I knew I shouldn't let him use me like this but I couldn't help it, this would be the last time...

You said that last time, and the time before that, and the time before that..

No this will be the last time

'sry I didn't reply sooner, was watching a film, sure come over I'm still awake'

I was weak around him, he was the perfect guy for me, he just didn't want me, this was the only version of mike that I could have, and tonight it would feel like we were together, tomorrow we would just be friends again.

I regretted sending the message, I always did, the only reason he was texting me was because he hadn't pulled anyone else

I checked my phone again; he hadn't read it.

I switched Netflix off and cycled through the channels, it was just news and more news, on about the 5th channel which wasn't showing the scheduled program I paid a bit more attention.

"all citizens must return home immediately, curfew is in force while the military deal with a terrorist group running through the streets of London and other major cities, reports of multiple stabbings and shootings across the country are coming in thick and fast"

I sat upright on the sofa, rubbing my eyes

Is this real

A bright yellow glow caught my attention outside, a dome off in the distance, as I walked to the window to get a better look, I felt the floor vibrate followed by an almighty bang which left the glass in the windows shaking

Was that... was that a bomb?

I looked back to the tv and the news reader behind the desk had been replaced by a message on the TV that simply read 'return home, stay indoors, lock the doors and don't answer for anyone other than the military'

I changed channel but the messaged stayed the same, I checked the remote to ensure I was pressing the channel up button, and sure enough I was.

The whole apartment building shook as a plane flew over it heading towards the river, I stood up gawking through the window at what I was witnessing, a huge passenger plane roaring down towards the ground, its belly splitting open on the park in front of my apartment block spilling debris everywhere.

Seats clearly flung out onto the grass with luggage and metal plane bits folding like paper onto the ground below

The tail section ripped off like tissue paper and flung to the side, the front and the mid-section, were heading towards another apartment building a little down the river, it just disappeared into a ball of flames, it was surreal, I saw it all happen and then a split second later the bang and explosion, and the sound hit me.

I heard glass shattering, but it wasn't my windows, I had no idea how they survived, I walked to the balcony dialling 999 into my phone as I went, my hands trembling

'user busy'

How can 999 be busy

I tried again but the phone still said 'user busy'

I sprinted out to the balcony, from the side I could see the path of destruction outside, the flames rose up the building and I could see some people in the distance running, this was all amidst a cacophony of screams and a strange metallic sound with the occasional crunch, like two stones being forced together.

Just then the apartment block collapsed in front of my eyes sending a cloud of smoke and dust right towards me, I couldn't see anything and coughed and chocked in the dust as I retreated back inside, the dust trying to follow me though the door leaving a grey stain along the walls and apartment floor.

The screams continued and I frantically dialed 999 but still got the same message 'user busy', as the dust settled a little, I stepped back outside

I need to help these people

But something stopped me running out of my apartment and down the stairs to help, people were running but it wasn't normal, they were screaming as they did so, their limbs moving oddly, their faces covered in blood, some of them even had limbs missing.

A male fur with no legs crawled along the floor towards some of the other people running but in a more normal way, they were human and pleaded with their attackers who were almost growling and running after them.

A lady clutched a bag as another human tackled her to the ground and bit her neck pulling her flesh away as she screamed, she wasn't fast enough.

What the hell was I watching

I pinched myself hoping I'd wake up, but this wasn't a dream, the man who was pulling the flesh of the woman's neck joined another line of people now clawing at a car trying to drive through the crowd of people, the woman stood up silent, her body almost following her legs movements before her upper body snapped into position, she then ran and joined her attacker pursuing the car.

These were Zombies

Not the slow ass zombie's id seen in films, these were quick and savage.

My apartment door opened inwards, and I immediately ran inside shoving the fridge across the door, ensuring the apartment door was deadbolted with the chain on, it was secure.

The screams were getting closer as I peered back outside over the balcony looking into the neighboring apartment block, its windows now covered in a thin film of dust from the plane crash, I could see flaming zombies from the fire heading towards any living soul and banging on the entrance doors on the ground floor.

I could see into some of the apartments clearly as they'd left their lights on, as with most of the apartments you could see straight through them and their front doors were open to the hallway.

furniture was left upturned, blood smeared up the glass, dead bodies on the floor, it was chaos, in another room a man was stabbing a zombie in the head which put the zombie down.

I watched as the man soon turned into a zombie himself, he must have been bitten, that's how it works right?

His body snapped into place and he ran out the apartment into the hallway probably to another victim in another apartment, if that was happening over there... it was happening here.

I ran inside and switched the lights off, locking the balcony door, listening closely for anything in the hallway.

I'd watched countless zombie movies; I was in the worst place possible.

An apartment building in the city... full of people

Full of zombies.