1 - New beginnings (Feeling Good, Onewe)

A year ago — November

I arrived in Seoul two months ago, after a long flight from Lyon to Incheon airport. Before that, I went on a road trip around South America and planned on continuing all the way to the United States and Canada. However, my family begged me to come back home to celebrate my 24th birthday. As it has been several months since I had seen them, I agreed to stay a couple of weeks at my childhood home in Lyon before going back to travelling.

I didn't plan to visit Asia so soon, but I met my now best friend, Sun Myung-Hee, while visiting Lima. She lived in Seoul and listed a hundred reasons why I should come visit her in Seoul, among which I could access easily other asian countries: Japan, China, Thailand and many more.

However, the flight back to France and the one way ticket to Incheon airport left me with little to no money at all. Myung-Hee offered to stay at her apartment as a roommate and told me I could pay her back later on, when I'll have a part-time job, which were easy to find, according to her.

I sighed as I recalled what lead me to where I was standing right now.

A month ago — October

While sitting on the couch at Myung-Hee's apartment, which was now mine too, she tackled what we called the "job issue".

— « You have a Master's degree in International Business! », she exclaimed, « you speak fluently three languages, you could do anything here, like a hotel receptionist or a tour guide for tourists... even an English teacher!  ».

The last option made me raise an eyebrow. She looked at me, smiling teasingly:

— « Would being a teacher interest you? ».

— « Don't look at me like that! », I laughed. « You don't think I could be a great teacher? », I asked.

She said with no second thought:

— « I do think you could be a good teacher ».

She got up suddenly, grabbed her handbag and started rummaging speedily through it.

— « Where did I put... ugh, where is it? », she thought out loud.

— « HA-AH! », she bursted, « Found it! ».

I was still sitting on the couch, dumbfounded. « What even is she doing? », I thought. Right when I was going to ask, she handed me a business card, which had been a bit crumpled by its stay in Myung-Hee's bag.

I took the card and smoothed it before reading out loud:

— « Cheon Bon-Hwa, International Human Resources Director, BigHit ».

I looked up to my seemingly excited friend and asked:

— « Where did you...? »

— « It doesn't matter », she cut me off, « you need to send him a resume, I'm sure you have one ready, you little miss perfect », she said while winking.

I cleared my throat as I fetched my computer and turned it on. She was right of course, I had spend hours adding finishing touches to my resume to make sure it was perfect. I prepared an email and enclosed the resume.

— « What should I put in the subject? Is there a job offer reference? », I asked.

— « Yeah, just let me look for it », Myung-Hee said distractedly while scrolling through her phone. « Here! Let me write it ».

She typed a series of numbers and gave my computer back. 

— « ET22019... », I spelled out slowly so she could check on her phone. « ET22019 - Idol English Teacher?!?!? », I yelled.

I was so bewildered that I didn't stop her from taking my computer off of my hands. As if time slowed down, I saw her clicking on the "send" button and heard the swishing sound of an email being sent.

— « What did you do? », I said obviously knowing what just happened.

— « Now you can't back down, haha! », she exclaimed happily. « You okay? », she asked as I became silent.

She waved her hand before my eyes, which made me close my mouth.

—« How did you know about this offer? », I asked, still shocked.

— « I applied for the job too », she said calmly, « and I knew you wouldn't want to apply if I did too because you're too nice », she quickly said before I argued back. « But don't worry, I heard from a friend working at the Human Resources department that they only wanted foreigner teachers, soooo... they won't even look at my resume », she finished, looking a bit disappointed.

— « Oh, I'm so sorry Myung-Hee, I know how much you want to work at BigHit... I'm sure there are plenty of other great offers... », I apologized.

— « Yeah, don't worry, I already applied to other jobs! », she said laughingly.

I felt relieved hearing her laugh and seeing her brightness coming back.

Two weeks after Myung-Hee sent my application, I received a voicemail saying they wanted to meet me through an interview at their offices. After several interviews with different managers, Cheon Bon-Hwa managed to clear his schedule to meet me. He clearly explained my profile corresponded perfectly to their needs and that they wanted me to be BTS's English teacher for a year, which left me speechless. When I asked if English not being my mother tongue was a problem, he gestured that it actually was an asset. As I was intrigued, he explained that they didn't want their idols to speak a perfect English, with an American or English accent. Idols had to keep their "cute" Korean accent, while still being able to express themselves clearly and having appropriate vocabulary.

He then handed me a contract. I had to think about the offer and call him if I had any question. He specified that they would take care of my visa if I happened to accept the offer, which he hoped I would.

Present time — November

A young woman bumping into me made me come back to my senses. I was at the crosswalk right in front of the BigHit building where I was waited for at Cheon Bon-Hwa's office. 

Wearing a muted pink pantsuit with a white blouse and a loose-fitting chestnut brown trench coat, I shivered in the November cold and a misty cloud formed when I sighed, gathering courage to cross the street.

Today was my first day at this new job. « BTS's English teacher », I thought to myself while walking to what would be my classroom.

« What have I gotten myself into? », I said out loud, opening the door, thinking no one would be there yet.