Chapter Fourteen - Sam

I slung the shotgun over my shoulder and armed with the crossbow I made my way to the yard, why were the geese so quiet?

It was normal for them to be quiet during the night, but they were noisy as hell in the daytime, today there was nothing.

I need to do something with these bodies too, the flies were buzzing around the yard and the stench was already disgusting.

When we had lambs die on the farm they would stink after 24 hours, then the maggots would come and it would be absolutely disgusting.

Me and my dad would build a fire and incinerate them, it was the only way to get rid of the smell, death was something I had become accustomed to on the farm and I never though twice about grabbing dead lamb carcass by its legs and tossing it on the fire.

Now I was contemplating the same fate for people I only spoke to last week.

I crept up to the barn, crossbow in hand opening the side door slowly, I was horrified with what I saw, the geese were all dead, hundreds of them strewn about the floor with varying amounts of flesh missing, a really fat zombie sat gorging himself on the geese carcasses as I took aim with the crossbow.

The bolt went with a thud into his head, and there were three more zombies at varying places in the barn.

The fat zombie collapsed with the bolt in his head, the trio of other monsters oblivious to the silent killer moving though the barn.

I reloaded and got into position slowly aiming and letting another zombie have it, I repeated the process again and again for the others until they lay still on the barn floor.

Silence is the key

Stealth is better

I smiled as it was a small victory, retrieving my bolts pulling them out while holding my foot on the zombie's heads, black bile and sticky red blood coving the bolts.

I wiped them in the straw and shoved them back into the pocket on my rucksack.

Well I won't be eating any of the geese then.

It seems the chickens next door were eaten first too, no zombies in sight but an array of feathers and a broken side wall where they must have gotten in through the rotten wood.

At least the noise of the geese won't attract more I suppose

I went back to the yard with a wheel barrow in hand, I thought long and hard about burning the bodies, but the smoke and flames might attract unwanted attention so I used the wheel barrow to move the bodies into the barn with the geese and other zombies.

They were the heaviest thing I had ever shifted and getting them into the wheelbarrow was a challenge in itself let alone the 250 meter march across the yard with them

I dumped them into the barn in a heap, it was undignified, I promised I would burn the barn down if I left, it wouldn't matter if anyone found this place then as I would be here.

Once the bodies where moved, I investigated the barns and outbuilding in the yard, collecting a drill, a saw, and some sheets of plywood.

I set about cutting squares out for the downstairs windows with small slits in so I could see out, it was hard work and took pretty much all day to complete.

I measured the frames carefully and cut the square out before drilling a hole in the middle on the boards for the vision slit.

I dragged them inside one by one and bordered up the windows screwing them into the wooden window frames.

The house was dark, with tiny letter box slits of light illuminating tiny areas of the rooms, but it was more secure this way.

One entrance, I could defend that.

I left the two attic windows un-boarded, the house being only one and half storey high, I could jump from them if I needed to, but anyone would need ladders to break in.

If I holed myself up in the living room, I would hopefully hear them breaking in.

To that extend I rigged up some fox traps in the bedrooms along with some trip wires, it was proper home alone stuff, if they were coming in, I would know about it.

By time I had set the house up it was already getting on for 4pm, how had I skipped breakfast and lunch again, my stomach was reminding me that I really ought to eat something.

I made a quick sandwich from some bread and ham I found, best to eat the perishable items first I thought, having a sudden brain wave on the water situation.

If I was going to stay here for a week, I needed a fool proof plan, I shouldn't rely on the water always being on.

I searched the kitchen drawers and found the keys for the Massey Ferguson out back, hopping into the tractor I hooked up the water bowser tank that would have been used for the geese, driving it back down to the side of the farm house.

Using the hose out the back of the house I dropped it into the top of the tank and opened the tap.

The hose looked pathetic in the 10-ton tank, we used to fill it up from the rivers with the petrol pump, but I wasn't leaving the farmhouse, I wasn't leaving my fortress... not yet.

I figured I could leave it on overnight if it overflowed it didn't matter.

It was dark now so I gathered up some wood for the fire from the shed which was thankfully full of firewood and locked myself into my fortress for the night, lighting the fire, I contemplated cooking the lamb chops id found but as the fridge had not been working they were looking a little grey, perhaps I shouldn't eat them.

I opted for some fried vegetables instead mixed into a curry sauce id found, before they went bad it was probably the best choice.

Failing to find any rice, so it was curried veg and pasta, a traditional English delicacy I told myself.

I was used to working on the farm alone, but in the evenings the farm house was alive with activity, id no spoken a work all day, and barely any the day before.

I couldn't do this alone forever, a few weeks perhaps, a month, maybe... a year

Supplies were one part of surviving, I needed someone to talk to I was already losing my mind.

I sat there in the wingback chair again gun in my lap staring at the walls like I'd already gone crazy.

There was nothing to do.

I climbed into the makeshift bed early and many thoughts raced around in my head

I thought of Harry my ex, he always made me laugh, I wonder if he survived, I wonder if he even thought of me when he left for the city.

I glanced over to the corner of the room, where a computer sat, not a laptop though, I sighed

No way of powering that up

No way of checking what the world was up to on social media.

I was left out again.

I was alone.