Chapter one

5th august, 2006

The date my mom past away. I don't remember her face quite well, but the blurry, heartwarming memories I'll never forget. Gosh, time went by so fast. Already 15 years ago my mother died of the horrible illness called 'cancer'. The last thing I remember of my mom, was her pale, reedy hand touching my face for the last time. I'm almost seventeen now. God, I wish she was still alive.

"Meg!" I felt an elbow poking in my arm. I heard my name again. "It's your turn to say something now..." a familiar voice said, whispering. My mind turned back to reality. A lot of faces staring at me. I became to realise I was in Mrs. Johnson's French class. "Oui?" I answered, off corse not knowing what the question was. I lifted my head up to see more of my environment. Classmates where chuckling. "That answer is incorrect, Miss. Crawford. Be unclouded next time. I don't want sleepy teens in my class, you understand?", she said with her picky nose straight up. "Yes Mrs. Johnson, I'm terribly sorry." My friend smirked. We both smile.

The bell made it's noice and everyone rushed outside to have a lunchbreak. I looked around to find my best friend All. I spotted her. All was, like always, sitting on the little stairs close to the automatic machine. She didn't see me coming, because she was sucked in her phone. I sat next to her. "Hey! Everything alright? You seemed a bit distracted." She said. 'Oh it was nothing bad. I just noticed that...' You get interrupted by a group of four boys. Also known as the populair boys of the school. "Look who we have here! The rich girl and the FREAK!" A low voice said. 'Leave us alone John! You have nothing better to do in your miserable little life?' Alice said with daring eyes. John ignored Alice's words and focussed on Meg. "Boys, let's come a bit closer." Nick, Liam and Tom where moving towards you. "I think this little mind reader could use some refreshing, don't you think Tom?" John said to the brunette boy standing in the back of the group. He takes Meg's phone. "No, Tom please! Don't take my phone!" Meg said looking in the brown hazel eyes. She could see the his doubt. But that changed in a second. He started talking: 'you where really distracted in class.' The boy's grinned. 'You weren't thinking of your mom where you? Because here I see it's exactly 15 years ago!' He said shameless. "Tom please stop." Meg said, holding in her tears. Now Alice started to step up. "Don't you ever talk about her mom you prick!"

"Watch your mouth rich girl or I'll come to your house at night and show your mom what a real man can do!" Alice face turned red. As if he knew something she hadn't told anyone, yet. Everything went silent. Meg couldn't hear clear. Only vague, mean laughter and the frozen and sad face of Alice. She had to speak up. So she did. "You can't take it ,can you? A happy girl with some money? You haven't the best life lately. You're parents are in a divorce , your youngest brother, Paddy, walked away because of that and your relationship that lasted longer than three years cheated on you. Feels sucks hah? Being lied to? But you still have parents and I don't. So shut the fuck up, walk away and never say a word about my friend nor her family again! Understood?!"

Now the other side was silent. Liam, Nick and John looking at Tom, waiting for any reaction and not knowing if anything of it was true. But nothing moved. He just stood there. Like a punished puppy. Not even blinking. Then suddenly he picked up his bag, pointed the boys to go and silently walked away. The last thing I heard was Nick asking Tom if it all was true and that it would be brutal if it was. Tom pushed him a bit and told him to shut his face and walked away, ashamed.

I sighed and turned back to Alice who looked like a turtle, hiding in its shell. "You okay? He didn't meant that. He just had to say something about your perfect life. He's just jealous." Unexpected, Al started crying. I did not understand it at first but then she began to talk. 'My dad left my mom for an other. A young 27 year old girl. We have no money and have a a month to move out.' "Oh, that's uh, that's sucks." I said. "Yeah, quite sucks..." I wiped off her tears and put my arm around her shoulder. Lunch time is over.
________________________________

To reader:

Did I already mention I can read people? No? Well, I can. It's a kind of mind reading but without all the magic shit. I can see in their eyes what they feel. I can read it from the words that come out of their lips. I can even see and feel what happened about the way they walk. You would say it's a 'gift' , but it's not always nice to see people's pain and their own happinesses. It's exhausting, but kind of cool.
________________________________