Going to War

Her head turned, defiant. "Of course you need to go. I'm not surprised."

Abihail picked up his sigaris, and hefted it in his hand. He looked down, hesitant but confident. The dented blade needed repair. But aside from that, it shined brilliantly. "I'm a soldier. War is my job."

Rivka's eyes narrowed. She turned her head away with the baby in her arms.

"I provide you with plenty," continued Abihail, "I am the only Jewish soldier in the Immortals. Even though I am not Zoroastrian. I have duties. To you. And also to the king."

"You have other duties, too" Mordecai, his brother, interjected.

"I have no choice. War was declared by the king. I need to gather the men," replied Abihail.

"You were barely here for 2 months! Hadasa is 8 months old and has barely seen her father...", Rivka insisted.

Abihail interrupted, angrily. "I have to fight for our country! I have risen in the ranks. You are well-provided for by the king. I provide, don't I?"

There was a short moment of silence. Abihail's brother, Mordecai replied softly, "Abihail, you have responsibilities as a Jewish father.."

"I have responsibilities as a Jewish soldier.. a commander.." said Abhail. "I represent the Jewish community in Persia. Life is good for us here and it's important to serve."

Rivka replied, "If you want to help Jews, then stay here and pray to God. I fear you will come back a Zoroastrian."

Abihail shook his head. He sighed, and replied, "You fear I will come back with a Zoroastrian."

It was a valid fear for her. As a commander in the elite Persian force of Immortals, he was surrounded during marches by caravans of concubines, often brought along by fellow Immortals. In addition, middle class Persians would be happy for their daughter to engage with a man of his rank. Only Zoroastrians may serve in the Immortals, but an exception was made for Abihail. Marrying a Zoroastrian would remove all barriers to his own further promotion in the army, and finding a new family was not uncommon for a soldier stationed abroad. Abihail did not believe he'd ever do such a thing. But he knew Rivka feared it. He was an ambitious man, and in some ways, unpredictable. Further, the monotheistic Zoroastrian faith provided less of a psychological barrier to monotheistic Jews than the idol-worshipping Babylonians or wild religions in the West.

Abihail reached out and gently took the baby, holding her in his arms, swaying. He looked into the eyes of his 8-month old daughter and smiled. After a moment, he told the baby, "Don't worry, eshgham, my Hadasa. I'll be back soon."

A few moments passed as he continued to hold the baby.

They don't understand, Abihail thought to himself, we ought to fight for the freedoms and goodwill that the Zoroastrian empire provides. And, as a Jewish commander, I build tolerance among powerful men. Jews are still persecuted in many states of the empire. Opinions of men change quickly and easily turn to hate. It's important to show that Jews fight as hard as any other man. This is how I protect Hadasa's future. This is how I protect the next generation of Jews- and Persians. Why don't they understand?

"I keep your scroll close Mordecai," replied Abihail, "I read the Shema prayer every day. You don't need to worry about me."

Mordecai smiled with a short chuckle. "You're supposed to read it twice a day." he replied with a tease.

"That's because I'm too busy beating up bad guys," replied Abihail.

 Abihail gently gave the baby back to Rivka. He leaned over, kissed her, and whispered into her ear. He then turned to Mordecai.

"Goodbye, Mordecai."

Abihail and Mordecai gave each other a big, firm hug, slapping each other on the back. Then, Abhail donned the scaled metal armour which all Immortals wear to battle, and left.