A Ghostly Restoration

At the stroke of midnight, I am woken by a sad shrill voice echoing from every corner of the old house.

"Help me, I'm all alone in here."

It sounded like the voice was coming from inside the house, every facet reverberated, and from every wall came another echo, it was as if they were chasing each other from room to room, even the ceilings and the floors were calling out to me.

Instantly, a mass of piton sized goosebumps erupted on my forearms, raising my hair follicles to new heights. All I wanted to do was pull the duvet over my head, pretend it wasn't happening and fall back to sleep. But even though scared half to death, I faced a moral dilemma, and against my better judgement, chose to rush in where angels fear to tread. Full of fear, like a scaredy-cat, I slowly put on my dressing gown and slippers, before silently tiptoeing from the bedroom.

"Why would I behave like this in my own home, what am I, a man or a mouse?"

You could cut the air with a knife, and I was terrified, been like this all my life, couldn't even stand up to the trouble and strife. I always felt insecure, especially after she just packed her bags and disappeared one night. Strangely it was about the same time of year, when unexpectedly, she left without a word, never to be heard of again. I reported her disappearance to Missing Persons, but that didn't help, they assumed I was just another loner. I was, going out of my mind, and it only got worse when they couldn't trace her, her family, or anyone who knew her, which included all of our friends, who thought I'd gone insane.

The police began to question whether or not she'd ever existed and concluded, she was just a figment of my imagination. It became stranger and stranger, as I could not find anything in my home related to her, there was no evidence to support that she'd ever existed, let alone lived there, everything pointed toward my insanity. Every last trace of her was gone, even the text messages on my phone, emails and telephone numbers had just vanished, only my memory remained, or so I thought.

For, as my toes touched the cold floor I had a flashback, recalling the night she disappeared. She was in front of me, being chased by an apparition, and ran horrified and screaming, across the landing, toward the stairs, where in desperation, she lept to protect herself and vanished into thin air.

"Why had this memory remained hidden from me until now?"

Even though draped in my dressing gown and wearing slippers, I was feeling cold, which was odd as it was the middle of July and the height of a scorching summer. I tried to switch on the light as I neared the door, but needless to say, nothing worked, and was about to light a candle when I stumbled on my torch, and although not fully charged, it was brighter than a flickering candle, mind you, a candle might have helped warm my freezing fingers.