8. Doctor ABC

The island was changing.

Indestructible cases – the type used by the military – were hauled down from the airfield into the main building. As Michael ate breakfast, technical equipment of all descriptions exploded over the mezzanines. Rows of tables, crowded with laptops, monitors and other unidentifiable machines. Looms of cables snaked throughout the room. A great bank of LCD screens rose against the glass wall behind the stage and obscured the once impressive view of the rocky cove.

Uncle Michael explained that the whole island would be swept for bugs. The main building was where the adults would spend most of the time – meeting, working – on what exactly, he would not say. Helping.

"And how would you hope to do all this?" Michael wanted to know more.

"By any means we can. We might help the course of history turn subtly the right way at a crucial point. We try to keep as much peace on our planet as possible. Or intervene when a natural disaster threatens. Save people who cannot save themselves. We have our ways. All in the shadows, of course." He chuckled and changed the subject. "Looking forward to lessons Mandy?"

Amanda shrugged.

"What are the lessons for?" Michael asked.

"Learning things."

"Wow, thanks for that."

After breakfast, the adults filed into the meeting area as those of Michael's age and younger were herded outside. Down the far end of the beach, Troy stood on the boardwalk, like a stage, waving them over.

"Okay, welcome back, hope you've been practising while you were away but I won't hold my breath." Troy's eyes paused on Michael. "ALRIGHTY. You know the drill. Young'ens will start with Nikolila, big kids with me."

Everybody broke into chatter and slowly began to move. The smaller children condensed around Nikolila trapping her in a ring of waist-high hugs. Uncle Michael caught Troy before he could continue. They seemed to be arguing quietly with glances down in Michael's direction, but maybe he was being paranoid.

Gabriel Swan stripped off and lay his lean body on a Union-Jack towel. Anthony Aquila stepped into the shallows under the boardwalk, his hands clasped behind his back reverently, head bowed, shadowed by Alby and Henry Qingting, mimicking him like a school of fish. Abigail sat in the shade with her sister Andrea, Angelina Aquila and two young girls in cowboy hats. Abigail's porcelain skin glowed in the reflection off the water. Her head drooped and hair swung like a curtain to hide the tube. She glanced up through the strands, caught Michael staring. Again. He quickly turned away. Nearby, Maria pushed Amanda playfully as they both watched Troy on the boardwalk above.

"Shut up. You can talk," cried Amanda.

"So? At least I'd do something about it." Maria looked over Amanda's shoulder and caught Michael's gaze. She bit her lip.

"Maria-No," she snapped like she was talking to a dog.

"Okay peeps." Troy climbed the handrail. The sun reflected off the shiny skin of his scalp. Michael realised he was actually bald on top but his shaved head made it hard to see. "Gabriel. What are you doing man?"

Troy dived from the top rung and as he began to fall, tucked into a forward flip. His feet thudded on the sand, legs bouncing into a walk.

"Nice one," Amanda complimented Troy. Maria jabbed her in the ribs.

"I know we do this every year but that's cos we could need it at any moment." Troy took Gabriel's hand, pulled him to his feet. "First things first, I gotta test your First-Aid."