Chapter Twenty-six - Sam

God I hate water, its my furs worst enemy, how any fur could like swimming is beyond me, the only thing worse than water, is saltwater mixed with sand at the beach.

The fan blew loudly, I couldn't hear anything other than its hum and the rush of the wind past my ears.

I patted my fur which was now dry

At least they had a fur drying cube in here

Sam was just getting dressed as I wrapped a towel around myself to follow suit, he seemed a bit awkward around me, maybe I was a bit too grumpy earlier, but there was something going off in this place, and added with my dislike of water it consumed my mood.

It was times like this that I couldn't work josh out, I'd catch him looking at me, a small glance here and there, he did the same while I was in the shower, he said he wanted to be friends but I could swear right now he was eyeing up something else.

I dismissed it, putting my joggers on, humans are weird to read at the best of times.

I looked in the mirror as I put my top on, my fur somewhat resembling its normal status, and while I didn't like the water, my nice clean fur smelt nice and fresh again.

My stomach growled at me, or was it Josh's it was hard to tell

"what time can we have dinner" I asked

"not, sure, we can drop our towels back and check" Josh said holding the door, "you ready?"

"why have I missed a bit" I fiddled with my hair "yeah you look fine, just asking" he replied as I walked through the door.

We dropped our towels off and sure enough we were still unchallenged in the hotel, it was like being on holiday almost, it as bizarre, maybe Ricky wasn't that bad afterall, perhaps he did just want some new supply runners, although I wonder what happened to the old ones...

Judging on my experience with looters and zombies out there, I was starting to see why the hotel was so nice, it had to be for all the shit you would have to endure out there collecting supplies for this place.

We got back to the restaurant where there were tables set out ready, a man came walking over "are you wishing to eat now?" he asked which both of us shouted "yes" in unison taking a seat at the table he instructed

He handed a piece of paper to us "this is what's on the menu, not much choice but its what we have"

The paper read 'burger or lasagna' each with a side of chips, below it read 'Chocolate brownies'

"burger for me" I said almost immediately, "me too" josh interjected, "the brownies too we'll have those"

"very well, and to drink" the man asked, I'd just noticed now he was actually wearing a uniform of sorts, black trousers a white shirt with a red waistcoat, it was peculiar but reminded me of normal times

"is there a choice?" I enquired

"we have wine, beer, cider, or some water"

"wine" josh piped up, "two glasses and a bottle"

The man walked off with our order, "if you don't want it ill drink it" Josh said smiling

It wasn't long before the man came back with the wine and glasses, he poured it into our glasses, "do you live here then I guess?" I looked at the man

"yeah of course" he replied smiling

"were thinking of becoming runners any advice?" I asked hoping he might give a bit of an insight to this world