Chapter 6: Dating?

September 6th, 2019

MATEO TORREZ

9:30 AM

Today was a much busier morning, I constantly had to take orders and at one point I accidentally spilled a drink. Luckily the person was very kind about it. I sigh as the crowd finally dies down. Workers were allowed at least one snack during there work shift, so I took out a chocolate chip cookie and started eating while I waited for my next customer.

(A/N: Just so you know I'll be describing the characters the way I envisioned them to look like! I also completely forgot if they described how they look like in the book, my apologies for that.)

A woman came into the café with her arm wrapped around a man's arm. The woman had tan skin, and dark brown hair reaching her waist, with green eyes. My guess on her height was 5'6. Then the man I assume to be her boyfriend was white, light brown hair, and blue eyes. I think he was my height.

"Hello! Welcome to Pluto's Café what would you like?" I greeted with a smile. "A small Frappuccino please!" The girl ordered happily. "And a medium black coffee for me" he added. "Alright and would you like it to be under one name or two names?" I asked.

"Two names, Aimee and Peck." he said impatiently. I nodded and smiled. They both walked over to the pick up counter. While I was making their drinks I didn't mean to eavesdrop on their conversation but I ended up doing so by accident.

"Aimee why are you still looking at your ex-boyfriend's posts?" Peck grunted annoyed. "I just want to see how he's doing don't worry." She replies. "Wait a minute did he get a boyfriend?" She asks confused.

"No he didn't, look at the caption dumbass." He joked. I didn't listen to anymore of their conversation and came back with their drinks. "Order for Aimee and Peck?" I announced. "Yay! Thank you!" She cheers as she grabs her drink. Peck just nods at me. They both turned around, and were leaving the store as I went back to the cashier.

"Wait a minute." She turns around to look at me. I tilt my head and look at her confused. She goes closer to my face and then looks at her phone. "Um is everything alright miss-" "Are you dating Rufus?"

My face turns red, "WHAT? NO!" I exclaim. People turn their head to look at me. "Ah sorry everyone." I apologize and then they go back to what they were doing. She tilts her head at me. "You sureeeeeee?" "Yes I'm sure, I just met him yesterday too." I reply with a sigh. She pouts a little and goes back to her boyfriend. Or at least I assume that is her boyfriend.

She whispered something in her ear, and they both take a seat down in the left corner of the café, coincidentally the same spot Rufus and his friends were at yesterday. I shrug it off and continue to work.

10:00 AM

I tap the counter, as I was bored out of my mind. Aimee and Peck were still in their corner, Aimee talking and Peck just scrolling through his phone while sending her small nods. Then I heard the bell ring from the door.

Seeing Rufus coming through the door and waving at me. He leans over the counter and winks at me. "What's cookin' good lookin." He said. I look at him confused, "I'm not cooking anything? Did you already forget what I said yesterday-" "It's called flirting Mateo." "Oh...OH!" My face went hot real quick.

I see Rufus smirk. "I'll be right back, sorry!" I zoom out and go into the staff room. Flirting with me? Maybe he's just doing the homie thing I see on the internet. Yeah probably, we're really good friends. There's no way he's into me.

I collect myself again and go back to the counter. "Ahem, welcome to Pluto's Café! How may I help you today sir?" I smile and greet him. Rufus looks straight at me, "Hmm, by going on a date with me." My eyes widen and I start coughing on air.

"I'm sorry did I hear that right?" I stare at him in confusion and my face is red. "Hmm, yeah. Also can I order an oatmeal cookie?" He asks as he points to the display glass. I nod quickly and go over to get him one.

I hand it over to him and holds my hand for a small bit before winking at me. I stand there stunned and flustered. No no, this is work time not flirt time. I clear my throat. "That'll be $5." "Whaaat? That's $2 more than the original cost!" He whines.

"It's punishment for flirting with me during work." "So no to the date?" "HUH? No! Of course I'll go on a date with you." I exclaim. He smiles, "Good! Tonight or tomorrow?" he questions. I really want to go today, but I need to finish my unfinished homework.

"Tomorrow." "7:00 pm for a romantic dinner?" He flirts. "Uhm, sure." I blush and turn away. He winks, "Can't wait to see you then cutie." Just as he was about to leave, the Peck guy stood infront of him.

"Long time no see Rufus."