Chapter Fifteen

Wilbur was sitting in his dorm, waiting. It was his and Fundy's turn to play conductor. Wilbur had thought it would be a lot of fun to run the train, but that was before he realised quite how late he had to stay up for the prank to work well.

Currently, it was about 21:30, and Fundy wanted to wait another half hour before going to the top floor to set up the train. The earlier they went up, the bigger the chance of getting caught. And despite knowing that he had to wait, Wilbur still didn't want to wait, and he was bored. It turned out that after a long day of school, Wilbur had limited patience, and staying up all night was really pushing it.

He was also very suspicious of what they were going to be doing. However, Fundy said they had been doing this for several years now. It was a thing that everyone in the Dream SMP did. That, of course, meant that Tommy would do it at some point, which was worrying.

"So, tell me again, what's the origin story."

"Okay, so, this was a few years ago, right after Dream had started the Dream SMP with a few of his friends. They had realised that each night, at midnight, a watchman would come by. And it's routine, meaning that he always comes right around midnight." Fundy made sure Wilbur was paying attention before diving into the story. He was.

"One night, the members were all sitting in one of the secret lounges, and they realised it wouldn't be too hard to prank the guard. They broke into a storage closet to get all the things that they needed, and that closet has everything. After they had looted it of anything they could use, they dragged everything up to the top floor to set up."

"They had found one of those folded horn enclosures along with a subwoofer and an amplifier. Another kid had found a cart, and one girl had a recording of a steam engine. I don't know why she had it, but it sure was helpful."

"They put everything onto the cart, with the speaker behind a spotlight. They had set the light up in a way that they could swing it from side to side like a locomotive's headlight, to, well, make it look like a locomotive's headlight. When the guard came, four people were going to push the cart, with another person riding it and sweeping the light."

"It didn't take long for the guard to get there, and when he come did everyone hid. The lights were all turned off, too. That way when the guard came over he wouldn't be able to see them."

"The guard opened the door from the staircase into the hallway. He stood in front of the door, trying to figure out why the lights were off for a few seconds, before getting his flashlight out to look around. That's when a bright light hit him in the face and the light started sweeping back and forth. The light swung at the perfect speed to be believable. The phantom train blasted its whistle, then started speeding up. Meanwhile, it was making all the regular noises that a train would make."

"The guard started walking forward suspiciously, and the train blew its whistle again. It then started moving towards him faster and faster. It took five or six seconds for him to buy it, but when he decided it was a proper train, he turned on tail and while screaming, ran for his life. A half hour later, he and three other people showed back up to see what was going on."

"Apparently, the guard had told them an unbelievable story about a train chasing him. The two people the guard had brought looked around. All lights were on and there was no trace of anything. Later, the staff interrogated some students, but nobody had heard or seen anything. They were sleeping."

"The story itself is more of a folk tail at this point, but ever since then a couple of people go up there every once in a while to run the phantom train and scare the living shit out of the guard. I've heard that the original prank took place right after Dream started the club about five years ago when he first came here, and Dream helped organise it. Now we call it train duty or say playing conductor. Oh, and you know what else? Well, I don't know if you saw it, but there's a calendar with all the dates that the train will run, and who the conductors will be."