Diamond

Dia and I walk to school together. She looks at the ground, and then up at me. "Sammie? Do you think Gran will remember my birthday?"
I look at her and smile. "She never once forgot. What makes you think she will?"
She looks back at the ground. "Dad always forgot."
I held back my tears. I can't cry. Crying is just what they want me not to do...
"He never forgot. He was just sick, Diana. He loves you, and so does Gran."
She shook her head. "Gran is going to die soon, Sammie. What are we going to do then? We have no one else, Sammie! We're going to have no birthdays at all, soon!"
I looked at her, shocked. "What is this coming from?"
She doesn't reply. She just looks forward. "Dreams."
I nod. I too, had dreams.
At her school, she doesn't wave back to me. She just walks in.
I smile even though she didn't look back at me. I love that little girl. She's mostly all I have.
I walk to mine, but put in my earbuds so I don't have to listen to anyone yell at me when I walk in.
Helena and Josh were making out.
Usual.
I tried hiding myself as much as I could.
But it didn't work out.
Josh pulled away from her and stood in front of me. "Hey, are you flirting with me? Bro! I have a girlfriend!" Everyone around started laughing. "Talk about sexual harassment!"
What is he trying to do? Stupid sh*t.
A girl behind him pushed him. "That isn't a kind thing to do to someone, who in the hell do you think you are?"
Josh looked at her and started laughing. "Who are you?"
She stood up tall. "I'm new around here. And I think what you're doing what here isn't right. Could you stop?"
He pushed the girl to the ground. "Don't fucking harass me, bitch!" He yelled. "I already have enough harrasing already! New comers need to f*ck off!"
I but in. "Leave her alone!"
He turned around and his eyes widened. "Oh look who's trying to help! The gay girl! What are you going to, flirt with me and pay me to be with you?"
Whoa, what the hell.
He punches me in the gut and the girl yells for a teacher.
Mr. Cruz, the principal, takes us to his office.
"Fight you boys got in to, I see?"
Josh leans back. "He was doing weird things to me, sir. I was feeling uncomfortable. He started flirting with me while I was with my girlfriend."
I choke. "Sir this is not at all what happened!"
The girl opens the door.
"Diamond? What are..." The principal says.
"Sorry. It's just, Josh, whatever his name is, is telling a lie. He did not do that to him. He was just trying to pick a fight."
I look at her and smile.
"You two may leave. Josh, may I speak to you, privately?"
I sit up and rush out.
The girl blushes. "Are you okay?"
I nod. "I'm fine, really. No big deal."
She looks sad.
"So, your name is, Diamond?" I say.
"Yeah, it's pretty unusual. What's yours?"
I clear my throat. I don't want her to know my girly name... She may make fun of it. "Samuel."
She smiles. "Can I call you Sam?"
"Yeah, that's fine." I say.
We walk together and talk about school.
She has pretty long strawberry blonde hair, and her voice was pretty calming.
She had a really pretty face, and when she talked her eyes would sparkle.
"I've always wanted to be in robotics." She says.
Did she just say robotics? "I love robotics! I'm in the robotics club right now. I could probably fit you in!"
She smiles so big. "Oh my gosh, Sam!! That would be awesome! Thank you so much!"
She hugs me.
Wow. No girl has ever hugged me before...
And after that, we were always together, the best of friends.