Ch. 1

Mitch's POV
~~~~~~~~~~

I wake up to the sounds of my brother, crying. (Connor was at a young age in this story). I flutter my eyes open. I take a deep breath, remembering today was the reaping. I get up and walk to Connor's bed.

I pick him up and pat his back, saying,"There,There."

He calms down and I place him back on his bed. He opens his eyes.
He looks straight into mine and say,"M-m-eetch"
His very first word. I felt like crying, but with tears of joy. I kiss him on the forehead and walk out of the room. I put on my shoes and walk outside. I sniff the air. All I smelled was the smoke and some rotten fish. I coughed out that stench. I walked to Jessica's house. (Jessica is Mitch's girlfriend just so you know). I knock on her door and she opens the door.
"Hey Mitch", she said smiling at me.
"Hey, are you ready to go to the reaping?"
"Yeah", she said, taking a big gulp. We started to walk. I was so nervous because I had 30 paper slips with my name on it. Same with Jessica. I was kicking a rock while we were walking.
"Mitch, I'm scared", she said, about to cry.
"Don't cry Jessica. Be strong. I promise I won't let you go alone."
"Really?!"
"Yeah. If I didn't mean it I wouldn't say it."
"You're the best boyfriend a girl could have" she said, smiling.
We finally got to the reaping. Everyone in district 6 was there. My heart started to pump. To be honest, I was scare. The woman who was drawing the names put his hand in.
"Alexis Kenton"
Oh, Alexis. Alexis has been a bully to me ever since I've met her. I was kinda happy she got chosen. But at the same time I wasn't.
"It might be impossible if he draws our name", Jessica whispered to me.
"Mitchell Hughes"
Oh no