Chapter 6

I reflect on Eliza last night. I'm still in disbelief she hasn't killed me yet. And yes, killing me with her words counts on that statement. Hell, she could've killed me with stares alone and yet she hasn't taken herself up on that opportunity yet. 

There's a missed call on my phone and a few texts after. I don't even need the caller ID to know who it is. There's only one person I know who texts at four in the morning and expects me to be up. 

You can guess who that is.

[text] Fuck your asleep

[text] was that the wrong your

[text] never mind. 

[text] Eliza's walking with you. I'm out doing hot guy shit. 

[text] and by hot guy shit I mean shit I don't feel like doing but have to. 

[text] this is too many messages for four in the morning isn't it

[text] bye ig?

If you didn't guess it, that's Michael. And yes. That was the wrong your, buddy. As per his usual, there's a grubhub bag from Panera. More apology Mac and cheese. Or just Mac and cheese. I'm starting to think he has a thing for Mac and cheese. Inside the bag there's both the Mac and cheese, and a small card. 

"My condolences for if last night went to hell. Treat yourself."

A Panera gift card. Sounds about like him. 

I do appreciate the Panera, though.

-

Eliza texts me 20 minutes early that she'll be here in ten minutes. I can't tell you the last time Michael or I were early to something. For the two of us, early is a state of mind that just doesn't happen. Some part of me is surprised she didn't just do her magic speedy thing at the last minute. But that's more of a Michael thing, and she seems like his exact opposite. 

Just as she says she would, she's here exactly ten minutes earlier than typical. It's only a ten minute walk there, so I have no clue why she needs to be early, but I honestly don't care. This could be the first time I haven't arrived after class was already mostly in session. 

I open the door to her standing there, as expected. 

"Wow. You're here early." I say.

"I gave you a heads up. Did you not think I was serious?" She raises a brow. I can't tell if she's angry or not.

"I knew you were, don't worry." I grab my stuff from beside the door and walk out. "So, what's with the timing? I'd guess you'dve figured it out by now, but Michael isn't exactly what you'd call "on time"" I chuckle a little in a desperate attempt to hide my awkwardness.

"If you haven't noticed, without Michael's supervision, those kids would be going feral. I can count on my hands how many I trust alone in a room. And I guarantee none of them have realized those flowers on your desk are sage flowers." She says. She's mostly blank like last time, but at least it feels like she's not out to kill me. 

I'm not usually the type to say this, but she's definitely  pretty. She's got an interesting aesthetic going on. A bit of a darker style.

Conversations aren't my greatest skill, but I'm desperately trying to keep one up. 

"How've you been?" Is the only starter I know, so that's what I go with. 

She nods, but not in the "yes" way, in the "acknowledges your question" way. 

"The most I can say would be simple. If you want to know about Michael's business, you probably know I'm not the person to ask." 

I do the same nod she does. "He's told me before. He'd rather keep me out of his business." I pause. "Hell, I'd like to stay out of it. I don't wanna know what he's up to."

"You're making a very good decision." She looks like she's contemplating. "I'm not even sure if I should say this, but I've seen more than he has. I'm a half century older."

I'm a little taken aback. "You don't-"

She interrupts. "Look a day over 22? I was turned then, I get it a lot." 

I swear I nearly see her crack a smile. 

"With Michael, though, he's strange. He's very different when you get close to him, but with some, he's easier to get close to. Even then, he hasn't done much when it comes to friends in the last century. That's all I'll say." She puts her hands in her pockets, sighing.

"I've never known him like that. He seems like this bubbly character, I never pictured him as solitary."

"He is. Those friends from the bar he mentioned picking up for the class were a complete lie. I did a majority of that. However, he did have a strand of truth. He did meet me in a bar when he proposed the idea. I called him crazy, told him it was a slippery slope, told him that a human in a room with fairly ravenous vampires was a horrible idea, but as he did, he didn't listen, and here we are."

I swear I see that smile again as she rambles. I listen to her stories Intently. It felt like she was out of her shell, even if just a little. Her voice was soothing for me.

"My opinion." She slows down, almost stuttering. "Has changed. It's changed a lot. It's been a long time since I've seen him the way he is around you. I dare say it's the first time in several years. Hell, maybe that century I mentioned." She stops to do that thing again. "What I'm about to say, you need to keep to yourself. Nearly never again have I said this, Ricky. Take that to heart. Since he's met you, I've noticed a massive change in Michael. He's been out of his shell. He's been out more. Before this he was the biggest introvert anyone's ever seen. There's no way in hell he would've made this program without you."

She drags a hand down her face.

"Ricky, I think you've found someone who'd die for you. It's that big."

She trails off as we reach the front doors.

She smiles. "See you after class?"

This time, I can guarantee I see that smile.