Prince Charming

Date: June 1997
Location: Karachi

The woman's house was a mess, she ran around like a headless chicken to clean everything and put together refreshments. The people who were coming to see her eldest daughter.

They were poor but she wanted to put a bit more effort and buy a few things to show them that they were a stable income family. However, her husband had turned to her as if she was crazy when she asked for some money. He had left the woman with a glare and a few degrading words.

Noor now a young 16 years old had witnessed this and had promptly gone to her room to get the money she was saving for a book. 'it will benefit my sister and save my mother's face in front of the people' Noor thought. No wonder people would take a liking to Noor when they meet her, she wore her heart on her sleeves.

"Mother here take this we should be able to get a few things, maybe a drink as it's hot outside," Noor said as she held out the money with a comforting smile.

"Noor... oh Noor, what a daughter you are you are the cooling of my eyes". Noor saw tears fall from her eyes and ran down an already made valley, shaped and marked by the tears that had previously fallen.

"Mother if I am not the cooling of your eyes and heart who else would it be, that cat that sits of the window. " Noor joked hoping to crease her mother's tears.

The two women hugged, Could Noor be considered a woman, in the eyes of society it was high time she married but in the eyes of wisdom she was just a child learning and tripping as she walked. But Noor... Oh, she thought she was the oldest of the oldest she thought that she was old enough to do grown-up things. By grown-up "things" she meant going to the book store and going out and exploring, apart from that Noor considered herself to be still a child to do "those" types of grown-up things.

"They're here" shouted her little brother eagerly.

Noor ran towards the kitchen where her sister was trying to make the refreshments. If Noor was, to be honest, she had no clue what was going on all she knew was that people were coming to ask her sister's hand in marriage, what was included in this whole process Noor was as clueless as to the neighbour's one-year-old child.

"Look Noor... just help me and try to not embarrass me, can you do that" Noor nodded her head and grabbed the biscuits plates.

Noor's sister had gone in first and Noor stayed behind per her sister's instructions. It is a way for the grooms family to see the girl as she comes in with tea or drinks. But Noor was blissful to all these requirements.

As Noor went in the room with the biscuits, she could fell the women's eyes piercing through any comfort wall Noor had made before entering the room.

"This is my second youngest daughter, Noor" her mother introduced her as she placed the plates down.

Noor looked up to see the women but she wished she had not. They looked really stuck up, kept fanning themselves even though the fan was on them while Noor's mother was sweating. They looked around the house as if they lived in mansions. They spoke to my mother as if she was wasting their time. Noor knew her mother would not see it that way, she was used to people tramping on her.

After speaking with my mother and them answering my mother's questions. My mother had said yes and my sister was now engaged whatever that meant Noor thought dismissively.

After years of sheltering from the outside world, Noor had become naive to the games of the world. She saw everything as black and white. Her father had been a protective even her own cousins could not visit. So, it was no surprise that Noor treated this whole incident as not important.

However, Noor should have paid more attention as what came out of the woman's mouth would change Noor's life.

What do you all think would happen?

Hope you give this chapter lots of love and make sure to comment where do you think this book will go and maybe once this book is finished you could come back and see what you thought would happen.

Yes, this chapter was short... Sorry 🙃

Thank you from S.B