Muzan Kibutsuji

Chapter 4 - EP 7 - Muzan Kibutsuji

On the way to Asakusa, Tokyo...

"Miki," Tanjiro called, causing the demon to look up at him. "Let's talk now."

Resting next to an open flame––hidden in the depths of the forest from the tall, verdant trees––Tanjiro and Miki made their camp for the night. The stars shining in the dark sky captured Miki's green-colored gaze, as the moonlight beamed down on the land around them.

Tanjiro had suggested they stop for the night once sunset hit. The journey to Asakusa was a long one, Tanjiro told him. They wouldn't reach the city till tomorrow night, which would unfortunately make it harder for Tanjiro to gain the advantage over the suspected demon dwelling there. They could only hope that their worries were for nought.

"A-about, um, abilities?" Miki asked, voice low and tight. Tanjiro nodded.

Miki really liked Tanjiro, he really did. In the past two days since he'd met the boy, he'd felt a sense of security and comfort in his life. He knows he once felt that feeling before in the past–when he was human–although his memory prevented him from remembering why, he imagined that he had a good life before. Tanjiro helped carry those feelings from his memories and it made Miki want to be near the boy whenever he could.

However, at this moment Miki wanted to run away. He could feel it in his tight muscles, his jittering hands, and the nervous nibbling on his lips. He could taste blood from biting too deep, causing his stomach growling slowly in hunger.

Miki grimaced.

It took just a small amount of his own blood for the cravings of the demon to awaken, it's essence buried bone deep as it waited for it's chance to grow; to take over every last part of his humanity. Miki shivered, he felt gross, disgusted at his demonic needs. Miki didn't want to be further classified as a demon because of his new found abilities. He was already having a hard time controlling himself to not eat the next person to pass by him on the street; he didn't want anymore.

"––Miki!"

Miki jumped, eyes wide as he stared at the close face of Tanjiro. The demon slayer's eyebrows furrowed as he frowned worriedly, his hand tightening its grip on Miki's shoulder.

"Tanjiro...?" Tanjiro sighed in relief.

"You're back..." Tanjiro pulled back from Miki, "I couldn't reach you, you worried me for a second."

"Back?"

"You didn't hear me when I called your name." Miki frowned.

"Oh..."

"If you're worried about the talk, I'm not going to scold you." Tanjiro started, "I...Well, I want to understand you more."

Miki was silent.

"...W–will Tanjiro hate..." Miki trailed off, unable to say the rest, although 'me' surfaced in his mind.

"No! I would never hate you!" Tanjiro gripped Miki's shoulders, forcing the demon to meet the older boy's eyes directly, green eyes wide. "Miki, I understand how hard it is to resist the demon's call, my sister is proof of that! I know it's only been 2 days, but I can already see that you're a kind person."

"You discovered your abilities and instead of using them against humans you used it to help them instead! You're amazing, Miki!"

"I'm sorry that I wasn't fast enough to save your family...I–sometimes I wonder if I'd been there to save you, you wouldn't have felt the pain of losing those close to you. And I don't want anyone else to feel that!" Tears filled Tanjiro's eyes. "I know you might doubt your own strength but don't forget...! I'm going to save both you and Nezuko. So just like you wanted me to trust you, I want you to trust me!"