Mt. Fujikasane // 03

The journey to the mountain wasn't an easy one but still, Tanjiro and Mitsuki managed to get there. Wisteria flowers were blooming along the path that leads to the slope of the mountain. Mitsuki was expecting the Final Selection to be an event where not many dared to join but the reality was way different from what he expected, there were quite a lot of teenagers around their age there. The most noticable was a calm looking girl with a butterfly hairpin, a grumpy looking guy with a mohawk and a weak looking yellow haired guy.

“I thought there wouldn't be that many people,” said Tanjiro to Mitsuki while looking around. The latter nodded and scanned the crowd as well before a pair of girls appeared and greeted them. Mitsuki felt a little freaked out when he saw how the expression of the two girls were like ghost but he maintained a cool demeanor to make sure Tanjiro wouldn't adress it.

“Inside the forest are demons caught alive and being imprisoned in there,” said one of the girls at one point. “They are unable to leave because of the wisteria that blooms year-round at the base of the mountain,” she added and there was silence.

“Once you walk past the forest, there won't be any more wisteria to keep the demons away from you. The only way for you to pass the final selection is by surviving for seven days inside the forest,” said the other girl before the two of them bowed to the participants.

“We wish you good luck,” the pair of girls said in unison before the participants enter the forest. Tanjiro and Mitsuki were the last one to enter.

Once they were inside the forest, the two of them put their mask on and looked at each other. “I know the best way to pass is by sticking together, but I think we should split up, Mitsuki... To be more independent and be even stronger,” said Tanjiro. Mitsuki didn't say anything but he responded by nodding. After agreeing to split up, they finally headed two opposite direction.

Mitsuki was fine for the first few minutes deeper into the forest. However, after sensing a presence that is a menace, he immediately took a battle stance, putting his hand on his blade before looking around to find where the demon is. “He looks tasty! Let me eat him!” growled a demon from somewhere, hiding. But it was no use against Mitsuki as he immediately registered the scent in his nose, making it easier for Mitsuki to find and kill the demon. “What is he doing? Is he too scared to move?” the demon murmured before laughing crazily. “Whatever... This is my chance to —” the demon jumped out of hiding and pounced towards Mitsuki.

“There,” said Mitsuki as he quickly opens his eyes and avoided the demon's attempt to assault him. Mitsuki exhaled and glared at the demon, “Total Concentration Breathing, Blood Breathing Fourth Form: Slicing Vessels,” with one swift move, the demon's head was cut off from its body as Mitsuki put his sword back inside its holster. It didn't get easier there as immediately after Mitsuki killed the first demon, he started to encounter even more demons, sometimes in a group of two and sometimes alone. To save more energy, he used his kagune from time to time to kill the weaker demons as his projectiles were somehow strong enough to kill them.

Two days passed and the blue haori Mitsuki was wearing has worn out due to the endless battle he got into in order to survive the final selection. “You're the last one,” said Mitsuki as he points his sword towards the demon that was on the ground, looking up at Mitsuki with anger. There were five of the demons previously but Mitsuki was able to kill four of them easily.

“You... Are just like us,” said the demon while glaring at Mitsuki. The latter tilted his head and stared at the demon with expressionless face. “You craves for human! I know it!” added the demon and burst into laughter. Mitsuki watched him quietly before closing his eyes and scoffing.

“Is that so?” Mitsuki slowly open his eyes, revealing his ghoul eye. “Are we really the same?” he asked the demon again and stepped on the demon's chest, “what makes you think I crave for human? Is it my scent? Is it because you saw how I fight? I might be a monster but...” the demon was trembling in fear as he could feel a menacing aura coming out from Mitsuki. “Not all monster... Do monster things,” that was the last thing the demon heard before being killed by Mitsuki. Leaving the scene, Mitsuki made his way towards a huge tree and leaned against it, slowly sliding against the trunk and set himself on the ground.