04. the beginning of the end

he denied any rational thoughts, turned a deaf ear to the people telling him off as he ran pushing his way through the crowd. he didn't care how many stones he turned on his way, nor if he could be still proclaimed a perfectly sane person. all he knew was to find beidou again, fall on his knees and beg.

"take me back to inazuma."

he was insane.

but his eyes cried oceans and moistened beidou's shoes, "please. please take me back."

there was no way beidou haven't heard about the rumours. just like there was no way she had doubts about the reason behind kazuha's begging.

"if you don't get up now, you will swim behind the ship among the sharks."

"is that a yes?"

"you're coming back to the epicentre of the greatest war inazuma had ever experienced."

"is that a yes?"

"they're going to hang you to your death the moment you step a foot on the shore."

"is that a yes?"

she massaged her temples and groaned, "get in, but if you get in trouble i will personally shave your detached head clean."

"th-"

"don't you dare."

kazuha laughed, smearing the tears all over his face.

---

this journey was one of the hardest he ever took. the thunders stroke into the sea unstoppably the entire time, throwing people out into the raging sea for a sacrifice to the god that turned into a demon. it was clear they wouldn't be able to make it to ritou. so kazuha bit hard into his bottom lip, tied the empty vision tighter in his robes, and hurled into a lone boat in a dying scream of a maniac. there, he called upon the wind to face the deathly lightings. seconds passed to the sound of nature blowing up the sky, but kazuha discovered again how empowering simple hope was.

hope that somewhere on the land there's still this something he kept in his memory, long enough to last forever. hope that it was all worth it. and hope that even if he can't make it out alive, the hope itself will carry his soul to where it has always belonged.

and with this hope, the sea finally spit him out on the solid land.

kazuha coughed and trembled to his feet. his knees were not prepared to tackle the weight of his body at all. he was sure to crumble into the sand, where a shout came in between hurling thunders above.

"KAZUHA?!"

gorou, kazuha thought, my old friend.

and he fell unconscious and unfeeling, the sleep taking him away for the first time in forever.