Chapter 1

"Hey (y/n), wanna hang out after school today?" you hear Emi, your best friend ask.

In your mind, you know you don't want to hang out. You are busy with work and family life, and don't really enjoy the company of others, but since you don't want to hurt your friends feelings, you agree.

"Sure, what did you want to do?" you ask.

"Let's go to the arcade, I heard a ton of hot boys go everyday. Maybe you could find yourself a boyfriend!" Emi replies excitedly.

She has been bugging you about that for weeks, every since she started dating this boy, she has been nagging you about going out more. You hate going out. The thought of talking to strangers, and having to commit to something scares you, so you always try to avoid it.

"You know I don't like boys. They are all gross and only want you for their own purposes." you tell her, for the fifth time this week.

"Oh come on, it'll be fun." she tells you.

The school bell finally rung, after what felt like an eternity. You weren't exactly excited about going the arcade today, but anything would be better than the classroom. You meet Emi outside by the stairs, and together you walk to the arcade. You can hear the music blaring from across the street. It makes you nervous.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" you ask.

"This will be fun, just loosen up a little, and try to look friendly." she says, giving you a supportive pat.

You reluctantly follow Emi inside, and am blinded by the bright lights. It is overwhelming. You freeze. Emi pulls you with her, and she buys some coins to play.

"What should we do first?" she asks you.

"Why would I know?" you answer with a tint of attitude. "I wasn't the one who wanted to come." 

"Oh let's go over there, look at all those guys!" she says, pulling you against the crowd.

You sigh, knowing that you are not going to change her mind.

"Hey ladies, how are you doing today?" a boy asks.

Emi kicks your ankle, signaling you to answer. "Come on, this is your chance." she mutters, leaving you with no choice.

Your heart starts to race. Not because of the boy, but because you are not used to talking with others. You can't handle it. You run in the opposite direction, disappearing into the crowd. You finally end up at a corner, with only a few simple games. You sigh, relieved, since you don't see anyone.

"Ugh, why do I always do this?" you say, while kicking the back of your ankle. You so dearly wish that you could communicate like others. Then maybe you could fit in.

"Are you okay?" a voice asks.

Startled, you answer, "Who is there? Show yourself." You quickly remember that you are not an MC in a shonen anime.

You turn to see another boy, around your age. You are tempted to run, but something deep inside you tells you not to. You could not describe the feeling.

The boy had long hair, and a cute face. Your worries seem to fade away, as you stare into his warm eyes. He gives you a shy smile, then turns away. You blush.

"UGH, why am I blushing!" you say to yourself. "You cannot fall for this boy, you do not even know who is is. He is probably like the rest of them."

"Are you okay?" he asks again.

"I'm fine, just a little overwhelmed." you answer, staring at the floor. You cannot bring yourself to look at him again.

"Want to go outside for a bit?" he asks.

You don't know what to say. Can you trust him? "I don't know..." you answer.

You wait as he finishes up his game, then gets up and grabs your hand, pulling you out the door.

"Hey, what are you doing, let go of me!" you say, struggling to break free.

Eventually you make it outside.

"Your face was burning up. You needed to get some fresh air." he told you. 

You look to the floor, embarrassed.

"I know, that place can be overwhelming. That is why I hang out in the corner, since no one ever goes over there." he tells you, in a reassuring tone.

You cannot believe you have fallen for this boy. "I cannot fall for him! You do not want to go through that again." you tell yourself.

Emi comes running out the door. "Where have you been (y/n)! I have been worried sick!" she says, in a disapproving tone. 

"(y/n)" the boy says to himself, softly with a smile.

Then she sees the boy. "Who is this!" she exclaims. She gives you a look telling you to continue the conversation.

"Well, I had better get home." you say. "Thanks."

You grab Emi and quickly walk away, before your heart has the chance to do something you regret.