It Could Have Been Movie Magic

Okay, so I was listening to my iPod while writing this, so there are a lot of lyrics by a particular artist in this story . . . If you can figure out who the singer is, well, kudos ;) Anyway, I hope you like it :)

-------

It felt like a fairytale.Everything was at it should be. My whole world was spinning around me and the best part was that I knew it was just the beginning. It all sounded so cheesy, even in my head, and yet I guess it's cheesy for a reason; because it's true. It was true how he could finish my sentences and knew me inside out. It was true how everything vanished when I saw his face, how my time with him was sparkling and I never wanted to let it go. It was true how, at the very start, he was the reason I waited for my phone to ring, blushed all the way home, wished for him to be at my front door. It was true, now as he stood across from me, listening to the priest saying "until death do you part," and saying himself, "I do," my insides were still melting and I could feel myself falling deeper and deeper into his eyes. It was true that he was enchanting, just like the movies. Just like those movies he was always telling me he'd become a star in. He'd make "movie magic", just like the magic we were making now.

       On any other day, I'd be chiding myself for sounding so pathetic, but it was too late to dwell on it as Mark was kissing me and everyone was clapping, the sound enveloping me. The music started playing, like it was the opening song to our movie. The greatest movie in the world. It was the greatest day of my life.

---------

The sunlight was dazzling. I was hypnotised by the sparkling waves ahead of me that Mark was surfing on. They danced and crashed in a white froth by my feet, the expanse of blue water stretching out to infinity. The sound of the waves churning, the cry of seagulls and the Australian voices calling out filled my ears. I closed my eyes in bliss and breathed in the calm, bracing air of the ocean.

       Everything was just so peaceful, so perfect. Nothing could ever get better than this and I felt a smile broaden on my face at the realisation that I'd get to feel like this forever. Forever with Mark, I thought and I beamed at no one. I probably looked crazy to all those little kids building sandcastles beside me, but I didn't care. Nothing mattered anymore, only him. I felt myself blush; since when had I become so love drunk?

       I never believed I'd feel like this before. Love was something that didn't exist to me and I used to pity any of my friends who exclaimed they were in love, because I knew their hearts would soon be broken. All good things would come to an end. That's what I believed. Until now, that is.

       I heard a long, ear-piercing yell that I thought I'd only ever hear in a movie, and in the split second before I opened my eyes again, images of my whole like flashed across my mind.

       I saw the first time I caught his silhouette making its way towards mine, the playful conversation that started and his quick remarks on our graduation night party. We had always been just friends before that. More like acquaintances, really. He was that guy I knew was way out of my league. I didn't want to waste my time with a guy I knew I'd end up crying myself to sleep over. I was still telling myself this even on our first date when we watched the fireworks by the water on the fourth of July and he put his arm around me for the first time. I was falling for him, but I couldn't let him in. I couldn't let him crush me.

       I saw the first time I started to believe, on a Friday night, when we lay down in a field behind his garden, painting pictures in the sky. We didn't even have to say a word, just listen to the crickets sing, and when he laughed I realised it was the best sound I had ever heard.

       "Remember this moment," he had whispered and he took my hand and we danced to the song of the crickets accompanied by the softly blowing breeze, as if we knew our lives would never be the same. It was the night I knew he was my hero. It would always be remembered.