20. married

Then my wife’s unfinished Diary entry on the dresser came to mind.  The words “funeral,” “flowers,” “stranger.”  Now made it sense.

I slowly walked up to her.  “Tell me everything.

How could you have understood my pain?  Your Mom is alive!”

She handed me the I.D. On it she was about 14 years old, and the name, “Paula Jakes.”

She said, “I couldn’t live with myself. My socalled adoptive mother never went to court to officially adopt me.  She bought me for five hundred dollars. I was a newborn. I wasn’t breathing on God’s green earth for fifteen minutes before my Mama hawked me off.  Janis Jakes raised me. Janis is an alias.  That’s not her real name. Her real name is Florida Brown. She worked for the police department for twenty years.  She falsified documents…changed her identity and changed mine.  My birth name was not Paula Jakes.  My father I never met, but I saw him before. He lives right here in town.”

“Who is your mother?”

“…Verona Sinclair.  Frank, you’re my oldest and only brother.  You’ve been married to your sister.”

My world exploded. Boom. I didn’t believe her; I punched her so hard she flew into the wall. I started vomiting all over the floor.

My stomach was coming up through my throat. I started punching holes in the walls. I couldn’t believe this! Incest?

Was she crazy? Was this why she turned to drugs?  Because she was forced to keep this secret?

Did Janis or Florida, whatever the bitch’s name was, orchestrate this entire thing?  Was my father also her father? Oh God!  It made sense!

The rumors of my father having another child were fucking true!

Gladys, Paula, whatever her name was tried to hug me.  Suddenly the connection between us made sense, like the final notch latched into place, locking our bloodline and our souls together, forever.

I’ve been fucking my sister?  MY GAHDAMN SISTER?

She shook with fear. The pain tore through us like fire.  I embraced her, kissing her forehead. It wasn’t her fault my mother sold her for crack.

My mother, a woman I respected, despite her downfalls, used to disappear for months on end. She had a baby girl while she was gone; sold her to keep it hidden.  My sister being raised by Florida did a number on me..

The horror of the entire ordeal weakened me. All the times I prayed for a sibling, a brother or a sister, and I thought God didn’t hear me.

I looked at her and I was so sorry for hitting her, having sex with her and loving her.  This wasn’t fair.  Why did people do this to human beings?

She and I deserved to know the truth.
I made up my mind. “We’re leaving town.”
She was defiant. “I’m not going anywhere.”  

Against her will, I picked her up; kicking and screaming, I threw her on the bed, opened my closet and took out duct tape. I sealed her mouth closed.

I duct taped her wrists together then her ankles. I picked her up and threw a blanket over