Reunion

The others joined in the group hug, surrounding Kara and Alex. An atmosphere filled with love and relief overwhelmed the room. But one vital member of the family was missing from the hug. Upon Kara's arrival, like everyone else, Lena immediately stood up, instinctively excited to greet her. All Lena wanted to do in that moment was to run up to her and hold her tight vowing to never let her go again. Yet whilst everyone rushed to join the group hug, Lena froze with uncertainty. She was unsure how Kara would react and whether she blamed her for her brother's actions in the same way she blamed herself. A lot had changed in Kara's absence and through all the sleepless nights and the eagerness to bring her back, Lena hadn't really considered what their reunion would look like. She still felt like she had a lot to prove and trust to rebuild, it would be juvenile to think Kara would greet her with the same warmth she greeted the rest of the family. So Lena remained standing at the back of the room thinking about everything she could say to Kara as she watched everyone else's happiness.

Soon after the initial excitement simmered down and the introduction of Zor-El, Kara started to look lost. Her disappointed expressions suddenly disappearing with a beaming smile when she exclaimed Lena's name and headed straight towards her. Lena's nervous attempts at a greeting were interrupted by a tight hug and she sighed with relief, closing her eyes and relaxing into Kara's embrace. "I'm glad you're here," she whispered in her ear then pulled back, her arms still resting on her shoulders, "I knew the moment I saw the sun beaming down on us, I knew it was you. Thank you, Lena." Hearing that made her smile and she looked down at the floor shyly, almost blushing, as Kara stepped back. "You've saved me so many times now, I'm starting to think maybe, Lena Luthor, you are my hero." They chuckled lightheartedly at the nostalgic reference but Lena couldn't help but feel a certain pang in her heart. She sharply inhaled before apologising profusely for her and her brother's actions. Kara firmly placed her hands on Lena's shoulders, "this wasn't your fault. Please don't be sorry, I wouldn't be here without you." With Kara's words, that feeling in her chest returned but she shrugged it off with a gentle smile and simply uttered, "welcome home Kara".

After the successful rescue mission, everyone went their separate ways, giving each other the chance to relax and recharge before celebrating Kara's return in the evening. Despite Kara's protests, Alex insisted on running several tests on Kara and Zor-El to make sure they were both healthy and to confirm there was nothing to worry about. So, while Kelly examined Zor-El, Alex was dealing with her impatient and stubborn sister. "Alex, really I'm okay. I just want to go home and get some rest."

Alex nodded, "and you will, after we've run some tests." Silence blankets the room. Since Kara stepped foot on the ship, everyone had so much to say, yet no one knew where to begin. Even now, no one was truly certain what topics were covered and what information had been neglected. It was all so overwhelming.

When the sisters were alone together, it was much more of that same feeling but there wasn't the desire to catch each other up on trivial matters. Instead, there was this desperate need for both sisters to express every emotion they ever felt from the second they parted. They seemed to have been conveying this to each other in the silence as Alex busied around Kara collecting samples and running as many tests as Kara had the energy for. Feelings they had both been bottling up started to boil to the surface, the Danvers sisters' connection allowing them to wordlessly understand and read each other.

Attempting to explain why she hasn't let her sister go home and sleep yet, Alex's voice grew more serious than the last time she spoke. "Kara, I need to know for a fact that you're well and that I really have my sister back. I'm-". As Alex recognised her little sister looking back at her through tired eyes, she remembered the emptiness and hopelessness she felt in her absence. Tears poured down her face and Kara looked up at her with a sad smile pulling her into a comforting hug. "I was so scared that I lost you, Kara. I- I grieved you, I watched your stupid message, I lost hope." Alex paused to push past the lump in her throat, her lips quivering helplessly at the memory of her darkest moments. "I lost purpose. I didn't want to live in a world without you." Both sisters tightened their hold. "I'm so sorry we didn't get you back sooner."