06. arrows in the sky

years ago, the two of them took a stroll down the flowery plains. the sun was out and warm on their skin, pushing all the worries away for just a day.

no vision hunt decree, no closing off from the world.

just spring, flowers and blue sky.

kazuha smiled, "and then what?"

"don't know. perhaps i could settle down and become a farmer of qingxin flowers on top of liyue's highest peak."

on such a beautiful day one couldn't help but become a dreamy mess. so they walked and brought about thousands of simple ideas and big ambitions, planning out week after week, speaking of the places they ahd yet to see and food they had yet to try. it was all naïve talking of someone too young to know about life enough to keep their mouth shut, but big dreams were loud and their hearts full. it was okay.

"that's pretty unfortunate considering your climbing stamina costs you coughing out one lung each time..."

tomo elbowed him in the ribs, but because of their prominent height difference, kazuha earned a bruise on his shoulder instead.

he couldn't let the betrayal go forgiven that easily, so he punched tomo in the gut. one hit led to another, and soon they were both tripping over and falling in the grass.

"you're like an angry chipmunk when you're trying to be intimidating," tomo gasped out with a laugh as kazuha climbed on top of him and fought to keep him laid flat on his back. his comment only made kazuha's cheeks grow significantly redder, but he didn't let go from his wrists pinned above.

"that's an awfully wrong thing to say when you're in a position like that."

"oh yes? well then, what are you going to do next?"

kazuha narrowed his eyebrows, "make you apologize."

"no, thank you."

kazuha leaned down dangerously close to his face. tomo smiled even brighter and his eyes twinkled. kazuha had a look of sheer determination on his face, but unfortunately he reacted too slow.

in the end, it was tomo who lifted his face up and started the kiss. then it was tomo who leisurely got out of kazuha's grasp and hoisted him up on his lap. then it was his hands on kazuha's waist, then on kazuha's hips, then back on kazuha's cheeks when the air tensed up at once, and it was his whisper in kazuha's ear.

"i want you."

so crystal clear.

right now kazuha's vision turned blurry in the curtain of rain, staring at the face he knew better than he knew his own heart, and feeling thunders mark the distance further and further away between two halves of separated whole.

"who the fuck are you and what the fuck are you doing in my room?"

kazuha couldn't look away from his face.

he remembered tomo bright and carefree, his sunkissed skin radiating warmth all over the place. he remembered those eyes shining out the ambition and lips that always carried a small of a smile. how could this all be wiped off so easily? his pale cheeks now decorated with cuts and scars, hair wilted down to grey, lips put in a tight line and those eyes, oh, those eyes.

even the lilac turn down to grey, grey even as it flowed in anger.

kazuha couldn't look away.

and most importantly, didn't want to recall gorou's warning.

"he doesn't remember."

he doesn't remember.

kazuha blinked quickly and took a step back, "ah—"