【Chapter Five】

When we made it to a stop in Utah; it had already been 10 hours into our drive to Nevada, which would be about another 6 or 7 hours without breaks. At this point, I was so incredibly bored that I ended up resorting to napping or reading most of the time. On a few occasions, we only stayed enough to eat, fill up the tank, and stretch our sore legs before we went back on the road. I am only awake for maybe 3 hours of the trip before I fell asleep again, only to reawaken the final time when we enter the Nevada state border. The sound of June's sigh of relief is what woke me up to begin with, and I about did the same when I noticed the sign we passed.

     June must have heard me, because she turned to look at me, "Finally awake?" She chuckled and I only let out an amused breath and a hum. "We are only about an hour out from Jasper. Then we can get you acquainted with the town and the people you will be around."

     I nod, yawning and rubbing the sleep from my eyes. "I had a dream, Ms. Darby. About how I got my injury." I noticed she stiffened a bit upon hearing what I said, and she glanced at me as if in acknowledgement to continue. "It was a hit-and-run, right? And the person who hit me was never found?" She nodded, keeping her eyes on the road and staying relatively silent, which was making me worried. "I dreamt that the person in that car was cursing a lot, as if he didn't want to wreck his car's paint. It was actually very funny."

     June laughed a bit, "And that is why the guy was never found, because he wanted to avoid people looking at a wrecked paint job? That even sounds like him."

     She said the last part a bit too quietly for me to hear, so I attempted to ask what she meant, only for her to wave me off. She must know something. I pushed it out of my mind as we crossed a small town. Not jasper, but it was a nice change from the plains and deserts we were crossing to get there. I pulled out a book to read for the time being until we got there.

     Since time dilation is a thing and time passes when one is enjoying oneself, the car pulled to a stop just as it seemed I was getting really into my story. I look up, only to see a dusty desert town and the relieved and smiling face of June in my peripheral vision. "Welcome to Jasper, hun," she chuckled before starting again past the stop sign. I smile in return, knowing she must have missed home since her journey to South Dakota. It didn't take me long before I spot a fast food place just ahead and the sound of my grumbling stomach caught my attention. June must have noticed because she turned into the drive through once we were within range. I mouth a quick and playful 'thank you' in her direction and she nods, a playful grin beginning to appear on her lips.

     Once we were at the window a boy with black hair looked bored out the window and monotonously mumbled, "Welcome to KO Drive-in, where every patty's a knockout. May I- Oh, hey mom!"

     She laughed before turning a stern glare at her son. "You need to show more enthusiasm next time, Jack, but I've missed you." She then turned to me and leaned back a bit to let me see the boy more clearly. "This is the guest that I mentioned will be staying with us for a little while."

     I perked up, noticing that I was being told to say my greetings. "Oh, my name is (Y/N), Nice to meet you. Your mom told me a lot about you."

     We both chuckle at seeing Jack's face flush with some color and with the same embarrassed face he muttered, "May I take your order...?"

     June and I ordered and received our food before we heard Jack saying something to who we assume to be his supervisor about going outside for a bit of visitation. His request was granted, although hesitantly, and we met with him in the parking lot. He was tall, thin, and awkward; not much to expect for a nurse's teenage son.

     "So... I'm assuming you're staying with us while you heal up a bit more? Mom told me what happened. I do hope you heal quickly." Jack was trying very hard to make conversation during the situation, but I was happy he at least had sympathy. "Tell me a bit about yourself. I'm curious if we can get along," he chuckled as he directed his last comment to his mother, obviously trying to bring light to a grim situation. His mother glared as a response.

     I shifted in my seat, wary of my injuries, and answer, "oh. My name is (Y/N); I'm from South Dakota." For some reason, mostly due to my lack of social interaction caused by my anxiety, I refused to disclose certain details to them, as to keep my personal life a bit more secretive. At least until I get to know them better.

     After we exchange pleasantries, I notice the figure of a person with their hands on their hips and with a foot tapping impatiently. I assumed it was his boss or supervisor, because I saw the fear in Jack's eyes as he noticed them as well. And with a swift farewell, he ran back to the building to what I assumed was probably one of the worst jobs in Jasper Nevada.

     Taking one last look around, I noticed that there weren't many cars around. Everyone must be either working, in classes, or resting at home to beat the heat. I did, though, noticed a flashy blue bike sitting in the driveway nearby, but that was the only thing worth looking at in this part of town right now.

     Hopefully, my time here won't be this boring...