Chapter One

"Nancy Drew, I can't believe you !" Bess Marvin's voice on the other end of the line was even more excited than usual. "How in the world did you get yourself invited ?"

"Oh, just lucky, I guess," Nancy answered, checking herself out in her bedroom mirror. Her slinky, dark green dress showed off her shoulder-length reddish blond hair and big blue eyes to perfection. Too bad that her longtime boyfriend, Ned Nickerson, was off at Emerson College. He would definitely have appreciated the way she looked that evening.

"Mr. Pierce had his chauffeur hand-deliver an engraved invitation into my hot little hands," Nancy fibbed, enjoying the effect she knew she was having on Bess. Bess was one of her two oldest and best friends. The other, Bess's cousin, George Fayne, was in Florida for the week, competing in a tennis tournament.

"No way !" Bess cried. "Tell the truth, Nan. You're just saying that to torture me."

"Oh, okay," Nancy said with a laugh. "My dad did some legal work for Mr. Pierce's software company last year. I guess that's why we were invited."

"I get it," Bess said. "And the invitation said 'Carson Drew and guest,' right ?" Nancy's mom had died years earlier, and Nancy often accompanied her dad to social events.

"Actually," Nancy replied, holding up the fancy, gold-trimmed invitation to examine it, "it says 'Carson and Nancy Drew.' Good old dad, huh ? He must have put in a good word for me."

"Wow !" Bess exclaimed. "A personal invite. I'm impressed, Nan. Do you know how many times I've driven by the Pierce estate and wondered what it was like inside ? I'd die to get in there." There was a short pause. "I don't suppose you'd like to trade places for the night ? I could tell everyone I was you ----"

"Not a chance," Nancy said, grinning at her friend's wheeling tone. "Besides, I'm curious about the Pierce place myself. And even more so about Mr. Pierce and his bride-to-be."

"Oooh, me, too," Bess said. "Just think, a man in his fifties, the head of his own software company and medical research foundation, with a woman of thirty from Iceland or someplace. Sounds like the plot of a romance novel to me."

"I agree," Nancy said, cradling the phone between her ear and her shoulder as she slipped on her shoes. "And add to that that Mr. Pierce is confined to a wheelchair because he's waiting for a heart transplant, and his fiancé, Nila Kirkedottir, is his live-in nurse and caretaker."

"I know," Bess said. "I think it's really romantic, but Brenda Carlton in her gossip column couldn't accept that two people like them could be in love. Just because he's filthy rich and she's twenty years younger doesn't automatically mean she's marrying him for his money."

"Exactly," Nancy agreed.

"I expect you to take notes tonight, Drew," Bess added. "I want the whole story, first thing tomorrow. All the juicy details ---- got it ?"

Nancy laughed, shaking her head. "Bess, you're too much," she said. "Don't worry ---- I'll go right up to Mr. Pierce and demand that he tell all after I ask him to invite you to the wedding."

"Yeah, right," Bess said. "That'll be the day."

"You never know," Nancy consoled her. "You might meet them both. Stranger things have happened, after all."

* * * * *

Entering the Pierce mansion with her father, Nancy was really impressed. Not with the opulence of the palatial estate, but rather with how homey it was. The house was festive and lively ---- not at all as stuffy and formal as Nancy had expected. The many wildflower arrangements, the chatter of happy guests, and the soft music played by a string quartet all contributed to the welcoming atmosphere.