Chapter Eight

"Well, if it isn't Nancy Drew !" Tom said, his expression quickly changing from one of surprise. "This lady's a detective, Vinnie. And a pretty good one, it seems. She tracked us down." He shot a glance at his companion, who ominously reached a hand inside his coat pocket.

Nancy thought about confronting him with breaking into Charles Pierce's desk the other night, but seeing the glint of metal in Vinnie's hand, she decided against it.

"I, uh, I was looking for Jack. I thought he might be here."

"He isn't," Tom said. "And let me say that I hope, as a private detective, you'll keep this little encounter to yourself ---- understand ?"

"Perfectly," Nancy said, slowly backing away. "I'm investigating something else entirely. Whatever you're up to here is no business of mine," she assured him.

"I'm glad to hear that. And by the way," Tom called out to her before shutting the door, "give my regards to your friend Bess. She's a real babe."

Nancy hightailed it out of there, heading straight for the Pierce mansion. She made it in under ten minutes. She pulled up beside Philip's Maserati and saw Philip himself giving instructions to one of the servants, who was busily waxing the car.

"Nancy," he said, waving as she stepped out of Bess's car. Philip approached her and gave a quick peck on her cheek. "I didn't expect to see you again this soon. Tell me you couldn't stay away from me for another minute."

Nancy smiled and shook her head. "Not quite, Philip," she said. "Can we talk in private ?" She asked, nodding toward the servant.

"Definitely," he said, leading her around to the rear of the house and into the gazebo that was set in the middle of a rose garden. "Now," he said as they settled in next to each other on a wooden bench. "Tell me. What's up ?"

"For starters," Nancy began, "someone tried to kill me this morning."

Philip's reaction was as shocked as she hoped it would be. "What ?! Are you okay, Nan ? You're not hurt, right ?" He asked.

"No, I'm fine," Nancy assured him. She went on to explain about her car, and his face showed all the proper concern. But Nancy wondered just how good an actor Philip Pierce was.

"Are you sure ?" He asked her. "Couldn't those lug nuts have come off by themselves ?"

"Not a chance," Nancy assured him. "Someone who knows I'm a detective doesn't want me investigating your family."

"Mmmm," Philip said, nodding. "I can see where you'd think it would be me. But, Nancy, I'd never do anything to hurt you. I like you ---- a lot !"

There was that smile of his again. He took Nancy's hand in his and kissed it lightly. He gazed deep into her eyes, as if assuring that he'll never do any harm to her. Nancy felt herself softening, hooked by the spell of his warm glance. She found it impossible to believe he was lying to her. But experience told her that charming people were often the very best liars.

"Besides, I was with you yesterday evening, and after I dropped you off, I came straight back here and went to bed, like a good little boy."

"I don't suppose anyone can verify that," Nancy said.

"Of course not," Philip said, shrugging. "And even if they could, I suppose I could have driven back to your house at any time during the night and sabotaged your car. But then, any of us could have."

"True," Nancy agreed. "Philip, tell me about your friend, Tom."

"Friend ? He's not my friend. Our relationship is strictly business. But why do you ask ? Is Bess already crazy about him ?"