Chapter 6

Jake ran to the house and rang the doorbell when he felt something against his neck. He looked and saw it was an arm that looked like an axe. He looked behind him and saw that Mr. Baron was behind him, smirking at him. Alma heard the doorbell and led Miss Avocet and Serenity into the parlor room, and she kissed Serenity on her forehead before closing the door. She told her children to go up the stairs far away from the door.

Alma opened the door and saw Mr. Baron holding Jake as a hostage, while Serenity looked out the parlor window and saw someone holding onto Jake, so she pointed him out to Miss Avocet.

"That's Mr. Baron." Miss Avocet explained, looking at Serenity but then turned back to look out the window. Serenity used that distraction and sneaked out of the room by the side door that went outside. She went behind Mr. Baron and waited for him to walk inside. Instead, Mr. Baron walked inside, and Serenity followed.

Miss Avocet looked behind her to see if Serenity was still in the room with her but didn't see her. She started to get worried. She left the parlor room and stood next to Alma, looking at Mr. Baron. Alma looked at Mr. Baron with a glare before turning her attention to Miss Avocet.

"Alma, I can't find Serenity, we were in the parlor when she saw Mr. Baron holding Jake, and when I turned back around, she wasn't in the room." Miss Avocet said, looking at Alma. Alma started to get worried about where Serenity could be but didn't have time to look. Mr. Baron closed the door, not noticing Serenity behind him, but Enoch saw her and nodded his head at the children who saw her and smiled.

Mr. Baron tried to get Alma and Miss Avocet to go with him, but before they could, Serenity tapped Mr. Baron on the shoulder, so he turned around. When he was facing Serenity, she pulled her fist back and then punched him across the face. Mr. Baron lost his grip on Jake and fell to the ground holding his nose, so Serenity pushed Jake over to Alma and Miss Avocet.

Mr. Baron got back up off the floor and backhanded Serenity. Serenity flew back and landed at Alma's feet, groaning in pain. Alma reached down and helped her up off the floor. Enoch saw what Mr. Baron did to Serenity and started walking down the stairs glaring at him. Serenity moved her hands around herself and made her dress change into a long blue dress with a slit up the side. She then made armor for herself. It covered her arms, chest, back, and legs.

She then made a sword and bow, and arrows. Alma, Miss Avocet, Jake, Enoch, and the rest of the children were shocked at what Serenity could do with her peculiarity. Serenity and Mr. Baron started fighting with Serenity using her sword while her bow and arrows stayed on her back. Alma, Miss Avocet, Jake, and the children watched as they fought, worried that Serenity might get hurt.

Mr. Baron ended up cutting Serenity a couple of times where the armor wasn't protecting her, but Mr. Baron had more cuts on him, like his face, arms, where she cut him through his clothes blood, could be seen coming from the wound and his legs. Mr. Baron swung his axe like hand, and Serenity lost her grip on her sword, so he pushed her back. Serenity fell back into Alma, and her back was against Alma's chest. Alma put her arms around Serenity's waist and looked down at Serenity to see her blushing making Alma smile.

Serenity had her break and walked out of Alma's arms and to her sword. So walked Serenity picked up her sword and twirled it in her hands before getting back into her stance in front of Baron. Baron swiped at Serenity, cutting her right cheek, so Serenity used her right hand and wiped the blood away. She put her hand down, and Alma and Miss Avocet saw the blood on her hand. They became worried, as did the children. The rest of the children walked down the stairs and stood next to Enoch.

Serenity surprised everyone when she held her sword up above her head with both hands and pulled it down quickly and cut off Baron's arm before stabbed him in the heart, killing him. She didn't want the children to see him but was surprised when they grabbed her hand to stop her from covering him. Instead, they walked her over to Jake, Alma, and Miss Avocet.

"I'm sorry, Serenity, I get why you didn't tell me. I hope you can forgive me." Jake said, hugging Serenity.

"Of course I forgive you, Jake. You are my best friend." Serenity replied. When Jake let her go, Alma pulled her into her arms and hugged her longer than Jake did but then slowly let her go so that Miss Avocet could hug her. Alma walked into the parlor, grabbed a tissue, walked back over to Serenity, and wiped the blood from her cheek. But Alma was surprised when she saw the cut was slowly healing itself.

The armor and weapons started to disappear back into a liquid and Serenity's hands, and her dress went back to her pale blue knee-length dress with a lace bodice with one sleeve on one shoulder. Serenity felt so exhausted from fighting Baron that she fell. Alma caught her and held her up while Jake went up to them and picked her up. He put her on the couch and watched as Alma lifted her head and put it in her lap.

"How are we going to fight the hollow when it comes? Serenity is exhausted. We can't expect her to fight again. She just defeated Baron. She won't be able to win against a hollow they are invisible." Jake said. Alma looked down at Serenity and ran her fingers through her hair. As no one came up with an answer, he racked his brain for an idea until something came to him.

"We could let the house be destroyed and find a new one. We love this one, but we all want Serenity to stay, and it might be good to go to a different place. Fiona could use her peculiarity to grow one of the tree branches, and we could lead it up to the attic and climb out of the window." Jake said, looking at everyone.

"Enoch, can you carry Serenity up the stairs when the hollow comes, and we will go with Jake's plan." Alma said while throwing Jake the crossbow and waited for the hollow to come. The hollow came crashing through the door, so Enoch picked up Serenity and ran up to the attic with the children following. Jake shot at the hollow but only got it in the shoulder. Jake ran up to the attic. Alma and Miss Avocet transformed into their bird form and followed after Jake.

Alma ended up flying up above Enoch and looked down at Serenity's sleeping form. Emma and Jake opened up the windows, and Jake went out first, helping Fiona down, and Fiona went to the edge of the roof and started growing a tree branch until it got to the roof. Emma helped Enoch slide Serenity down to Jake, and Alma flew out the window, making sure her children and Serenity were safe.

Miss Avocet then flew out the window and hovered next to Alma. The rest of the children followed, Olive being the last to slide down. Jake then saw the German aircraft getting closer and helped put Serenity on Enoch's back before shooting the hollow when he saw it coming out the window. The rest of the children climbed down the tree. Emma and Jake followed as the house got destroyed and the loop was gone.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////