Chapter Three

When Xiao Zhan saw the cake, he smiled, no longer surprised

"Actually I stopped by to give this to Xiaoyi," Shen Lian said as he handed him the cake box, and was immediately greeted by Xiao Zhan. Receiving the cake was nothing new to him. Shen Lian had been doing this for almost a year. Trying to get close to him and Xiaoyi, which annoyed Xiao Zhan not because of the man's feelings, but because of himself. He was annoyed at not being able to give a firm answer and continued to act like they were best friends.

Xiao Zhan was not the type of person who felt too comfortable befriending or becoming close to others, especially if they were Alpha. But because Shen Lian was a Beta, it didn't make Xiao Zhan feel intimidated or threatened. Even if he was in the heat of the moment, Shen Lian would not be bothered, and Xiao Zhan would not be afraid to be looked after by him. No matter how strong the scent he gave off, the man wouldn't be able to smell it clearly, just a glimpse, but it wouldn't affect him at all.

"Thank you," Xiao Zhan said.

Shen Lian returned to his car and looked out at Xiao Zhan who was still standing where he was. He wanted to want to say something, but his mouth clenched as he contemplated whether or not to speak. Meanwhile, Xiao Zhan looked at the man patiently, waiting for him to say whatever he wanted to say.

"The day after tomorrow..."

His words immediately came to a halt as he came back to think of a more appropriate sentence. Xiao Zhan raised his brows, waiting for him to continue.

After sighing, Shen Lian spoke more clearly, "The day after tomorrow my schedule is empty, umm...from around midday till evening. Can I pick you up?"

Xiao Zhan held his breath for a while before exhaling very slowly. It was one year ago when Shen Lian confessed his feelings. Xiao Zhan had already given him a pretty clear answer back then. He said that he was not interested in starting a relationship with the man at the time, since he still needed to take care of Xiaoyi. However, the man was stubborn enough to insist that he could wait for him. Shen Lian didn't even ask about Xiaoyi's father or anything about his past, which lead to his current situation. Perhaps he didn't care or just didn't want to know, Xiao Zhan still didn't think he deserved someone like Shen Lian. A doctor with such a great and perfect life.

Xiao Zhan thought about when it would be the best time to talk about it again with Shen Lian. But for now, he had given the man the opportunity to approach him and Xiaoyi. Xiao Zhan wanted to see if his feelings would change.

"Okay," Xiao Zhan replied while nodding.

Meanwhile, inside the shop, Wang Yibo and Xiaoyi were still watching the brief scene. Xiaoyi had on a straight face as it was not the first time he'd seen the doctor come to see his father. Wang Yibo, on the other hand, was staring at the scene as if he wanted to leap out to have a closer look at the man's face who had just arrived and was holding Xiao Zhan casually as if it wasn't such a big deal.