pretty boy

It's December.

Akaashi found it easier to be around Bokuto. He also found it easier to earn high marks on his photography assignments, so their deal was far less bad than what he truly cared to admit.

Bokuto was fun.

He was what Akaashi could best describe as spring. Akaashi really liked the spring, because it was unpredictable.

He remembers it always being warm and sunny, flowers reaching nimble hands towards the sky, asking to be warmer, asking to grow. It brought the wet scatter of rain, light kisses landing on leaves and sprinkling over blue butterfly wings. Petrichor would litter the earth and bring Akaashi back home, back to his happy place, mingling with the aromas from the garden, natural candles with his favorite pretty colors.

Bokuto was also just as unpredictable, when he would shower rain all over their apartment, begging for a new idea to come to him. He would shine, almost too bright, when Akaashi offered to take him out, just to get his mind off of things. He was quiet like the nighttime, holding constellations behind his eyes as he painted, silently blossoming in his element beneath the watchful eye of the moon.

Akaashi really liked the spring, and he really liked Bokuto.

His heart found this fact out recently, and since then, he has been trying not to make it noticeable. He sometimes bumped into Bokuto by accident, or spilled things in their dorm kitchen when they were together, and dropped pens and scattered papers as they floated off of his desk because he would find himself in the middle of cold water as nerves twisted themselves around his throat and fingers and feet.

He was a total wreck on a good day, and he wholeheartedly blames Bokuto.

How stupid.

It also didn't help that Bokuto was very flirty and very touchy once he got comfortable. Akaashi always hated touch with a passion, only ever hugging his parents when he needed to. He thought it was something that should be reserved for someone you liked in that way, rather than someone you didn't.

It's just how he was.

But he found himself trying his very best to not shy away from it when Bokuto was around.

It was hard, but he is managing to be okay with Bokuto playing with his fingers when he was bored, or letting him sling an arm around his shoulders on the walk to the ramen shop, or having Bokuto in his bed, despite the new one coming in over a month ago, perfectly new and perfectly comfortable.

Akaashi had to remind himself many times that he was just a very affectionate friend. And that was okay.

Except Akaashi was practically falling in love with this boy and didn't know how to break it to himself that he shouldn't be.

He liked to put that thought away though. It was his usual bout of acting like it didn't exist would somehow make it not exist.

He was never successful with that, but he hoped that one day, it might ring true.

"Did you see that, Akaashi? I mean, look at those awesome photos!" Bokuto turns his head to look at him from where he was resting on his stomach, sweeping him out of his thoughts again as he hands him back his camera.

He was so excited, like a sun with rays that got brighter with each passing day. Akaashi liked to think about that time when Bokuto said Akaashi was his moon, and he is reminded daily of how close to the truth he'd been.

They completed each other, that was obvious.

"I see them," Akaashi says calmly, looking through Bokuto's photos on the LCD screen and studying the peonies in the center, the leaves of the tree above them waving with a gust of wind. "You followed the golden ratio."