Chapter 1: First impressions arent always the best ones.

Enjoy xoxo
------

Today's the day, I finally get to go home and see my family. You see, I've been away at college for the past 6 months. I haven't gotten the chance to go home between the massive amount of school work I've been handed and the fact plane tickets are expensive. I miss being on the farm, the smell of hay and freshly mowed grass is heaven compared to here. I was born and raised in a small town in Colorado. I've been going to school in Denver for the past two years, only going home on major holidays. It's bit too city for me to be honest, but the university has the best business program around. I can't complain, I'm going to college for free.

Looking around my room making sure I didn't forget anything, sighing I mumbled to myself "I don't know if I really feel like coming back here next semester". Turning around I grabbed my handbag, rushing out the door to meet the cab currently waiting for me downstairs. After a grueling 2 1/2 hours in the airport dealing with security and all the nonsense that went along; we were finally in the air. It's only about 3 hour plane journey, thank gosh. I hate planes, have I mentioned that? No? Well I do.

I smiled as soon as I saw my family standing there waving vigorously. My smile grew impossibly larger seeing my 4 year old sister running towards me. I crouched down just in time for her to launch herself into my arms.

"Hey pretty pretty princess," I chirped as I swung her around in a circle "I missed you."

"Missed you more lynnie!" she squealed wrapping her tiny arms tightly around my neck; tight enough to cut off my oxygen flow. Okay maybe that was a bit overdramatic. I blame the airplane.

"Enough Cassie, you're going to choke her sweetheart" I heard daddy say as I turned around placing Cassidee on her feet.

"Daddy!" I jumped into his arms, burrowing myself into the familiarity of his smell. "I missed you so much." I mumbled from my place in his arms. "I missed you too sweet pea," he sighed "I really wish you'd stay here and go to that small college Brae."

"I know daddy, I know" I paused looking around "where's momma and Ash?"

"They stayed home, they're making your favorite for supper" he said putting my large amount of bags in the back of our Tahoe.

An hour and a half later we were finally back home. Jumping out of the SUV, I ran inside instantaneously being greeted by a massive chest and a familiar smell. Ashton. Latching myself onto him, he chuckled "Hey baby sis." Looking up at him I realized just then how stinking short I am to everyone in my family. "Why the hell are you so tall Ash!? Did you grow like another foot in the past 6 months?!"

"LANGUAGE" came from the kitchen.

"Sorry momma!" I yelled back. I let go of Ash just to rush into my mothers arms.

You see, my mom and I have always been close. She's my best friend, we like the same things, wear the same clothes. I'm also the only one in the family that looks exactly like her. Ashton and Cassidee look exactly like our dad. I have my moms flaming red hair and electric blue eyes. Although I'm short, 5'2" to be precise. I'm the shortest in the family. Except for Cassidee, obviously.

Looking over my moms shoulder I noticed a boy, no. I noticed a man, looks to be only a few years older than myself sitting at the kitchen island. Curiosity killed the cat, or in this case me.

Walking over to this stranger I just had to ask, "Who are you?" I should also say it probably wasn't the nicest greeting I've ever done.

"Braelyn Nichole Richards!" My mom snapped "that is no way to talk to a guest, or a new ranch hand. Now apologize." My eyes grew wide as soon as those words left her mouth. Why? For one, my mom never snapped. She was literally the definition of a classy southern woman calm, and nice. For two, she said he was a new ranch hand.

Startled "I am so very sorry!" Holding the 'o' sound just to emphasize how sorry I really was. "I promise I'm not usually this nasty!" I smiled a little hoping he'd understand.

"No worries ma'am, you didn't know who I was, you reacted just like any normal person would" man was his voice like heaven to my ears. "I'm Jamenson Alkin, nice to meet you" he stuck out his hand for me to shake, I took his hand and shook it just like my daddy taught me. "The names Braelyn, call me Brae, happy to meet ya Mr. Alkin" I smiled releasing his hand. Looking over at momma I said "I should really go change and shower, I feel disgusting"

Momma laughed and daddy shook his head walking out the back door.

"I knew something smelled bad" Ash howled with laughter clutching his stomach, practically doubling over. I turned and glared at my little sister. One look from me, she was out the door quicker than you could say run. Glaring at Ashton I said "stop tainting her! You're teaching her bad things butthead!" With that I stomped up the stairs with one particular gorgeous blonde haired hottie on my mind.